Author Topic: Recurving with laminations?  (Read 2147 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Recurving with laminations?
« on: August 04, 2014, 01:18:18 pm »
There was a how to on the subject but I cannot find it. I was wondering how long I should grind the taper to bend the tips over?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Recurving with laminations?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 02:07:07 pm »
Try a kerf cut curve if you don't want to make it to finicky bruiser.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 03:41:28 pm »
Well I got another piece of the ipe I got from skarhand. And I have some wind checked osage. And some maple lams. So figured on winging it and trying to make something. I got plans for something in my head. Well see what happens.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 03:55:21 pm »
That's how did most bows in the beginning, just get after it and see what happens. Never fall in love with a piece of wood and this hobby is a breeze.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 06:02:25 pm »
Yeah. I figure I might as well experiment. The grain on the ipe isn't great at one end. See what happens. It's all practice. I'll post pics maybe once I get it going. Thanks chris

Offline bushboy

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 06:18:57 pm »
For simple backed bows I now pre shape the recurve on a caul and add a bit of reflex at glue up.i find it tricky to glue in curves, cuz it not hard to glue them up cockeyed.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 06:30:48 pm »
Hard to heat bend ipe bushy. Bruiser if that grain is bad enough, its a waste of time. Even with a good tiller it will probably fret on you.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 06:50:55 pm »
It's not too too bad. Like like 12" of one limb. Hence why it's gonna be a tri lam. I find it easier to glue up everything in stages. Make sure each stage is good before I waste more wood on it. I'm confident it'll work. Hopefully ;0)