Author Topic: Hickory Makeover  (Read 2869 times)

Offline Lefty8917

Hickory Makeover
« on: July 30, 2014, 08:30:57 pm »
This is a hickory bow I made last year. It was always the last bow out of the bunch I would pick up to shoot. I thought if I gave it a new look it might perk my interest a bit more. So I did a full black leather dye finish and added a red leather grip and a DYNA 97 string. Now its probably the bow I will be holding in the tree stand this year. Its shooting really nice with minimum hand shock. The only thing I couldn't decide on is if the mid limbs are working enough. If you notice there is a lot of reflex in those areas and some deflex coming out of the handle. Let me know your opinions (good or bad):)

Offline bubby

Re: Hickory Makeover
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 08:50:18 pm »
I'd get the miss bending more but that's me, if your happy that's what counts
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline autologus

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 10:53:01 pm »
Looks to me like it is doing most of its bending just past the fades.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Lefty8917

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 11:13:53 pm »
Thanks guys for the feedback. I was unsure if it was the deflex out of the handle or it was actually bending too much there. I figured it was OK since it wasn't taking any set. Check out my Osage I posted right before this. Hate to give that one away

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 09:33:15 am »
The finish looks great though

Offline campx

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 10:41:24 pm »
I'm no tiller expert, but she's doing all her bending just outta the fades.  Kinda "mollegebat-ish"...is that a word?  But in my head, if it isn't taking any set, then its gotta be okay.
The finish looks pretty sweet though!
Oh ya, I like your t-shirt too, Brantley kicks azz.

Offline Lefty8917

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 10:58:01 pm »
Yea saw him in concert last year. I think I'll try and get the mid limbs working a bit more. Everyone's responses are pretty consistant. Thanks again everyone for the advice

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 05:41:45 pm »
I agree that the limbs should be bending more in the midlimb. The front profile also dictates that: it is very wide at the midlimbs, which means it can take a lot of bend. I would also side tiller the outer third of both limbs. They are stiff (which is fine), but they are just too wide to keep them stiff. Take a small blockplane and reduce some width, especially the area about 12" to 3" from the tips.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286