Author Topic: Backpack challenge bow 1.0 :(  (Read 1983 times)

Offline autologus

Backpack challenge bow 1.0 :(
« on: July 22, 2014, 11:39:51 am »
Well here is my backpack challenge bow 1.0 Rift sawn Ash  :'( It was looking great and the tiller looked great 38.5" ntn and 50# @ 20".  I was going to shoot it some before I finished it up and decided to put it on the tree to check the weight and tiller one last time and all was well.  I was pulling the bow a few times to get used to the draw length and weight and I heard the dreaded tick.  I had a place on the handle that I was concerned about because when I was roughing out the bow with the bandsaw I accidentally got too close to the line dead center of the handle so it had a very slight dip in thickness.  This concerned me and that is why I backed it with my favorite black silk tie and in the handle was overlapped to be 2 layers.  I put the bow back up on the tree to see if there were any weak spots noticeable since I did not see anything on inspection and the tiller looked great until I got to full draw and BANG!  She let go in grand fashion, this was the first one I have had blow up on the tree and it was quite impressive.  It let go dead center of the handle where the thinner area was in the middle.  Oh well it was fun and I almost had it.  I guess if you ain't breaking you ain't makin'.  The bandsaw marks on the handle piece that came off on the last picture is where the thin area was.

Grady

Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Aaron H

Re: Backpack challenge bow 1.0 :(
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 11:44:45 am »
Bummer,  Well get back on that horse and make another!  I am in the process of building a backpack challenge bow right now as well.

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 11:52:15 am »
Grady,
     Take a good look at that 3rd pic....your tiller had to be spot on for the failure to be that even (symmetrical). 50# at more than half bow length needs everything to be real good as well. Only advice I got is to make another one and try real hard to not pull it past intended draw.....at that length there aint no wiggle room 8)

Damned fine try though, shows your tillering is very good.
rich

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 12:01:44 pm »
Id guess your handle was working too hard Grady.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 12:12:38 pm »
At least it was on the tree. That would of hurt in the hand!

Offline autologus

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 12:16:10 pm »
Id guess your handle was working too hard Grady.

Yeah, that is exactly right, that thin area was a lot of concern and I should have reduced the weight and I believe it would have still been alive at 45#, I was over zealous.  I have 2.0 in the works and will post pics of what I will try it with and will be asking for some suggestions and advice so stay tuned.

Grady

Offline autologus

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 12:19:35 pm »
Thanks Rich, I thought the tiller looked really good to my eyes but I never got pics so...  It was not a bad attempt for half a wheelbarrow handle.   >:D

Grady

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 06:14:15 pm »
Great looking first go.  I posted on the 2.0 version as well.  Can't wait to see that one.