Author Topic: Osage project  (Read 2806 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Osage project
« on: July 19, 2014, 06:30:57 pm »
I am starting to work on the Osage stave I got from Fred Arnold. It has some natural reflex, and that I like. It also isn't as straight as I would like, but it will give me a good challenge. In the attached picture you can see that it bends at both ends a little bit. I need to straighten it, how would you go about doing that? Thanks for all the free lessons. This is really quite fun, Lots of new things to learn!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: Osage project
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 07:59:32 pm »
Joe, If that's the one I'm thinking of it's fairly flat on the back and you should be able to just clamp it belly up to the narrow side of a 2 x4 and apply dry heat. It's a pretty easy fix. Shouldn't have to get it that hot and just leave clamped until it cools. It might take a couple sessions.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 08:15:39 pm »
So just clamp it to the 2x4 straight and heat it? I like the deflex, just need to work the stave to line up the tips and handle. It is only out about an inch.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 08:34:22 pm »
Jojo I usually clamp a 50% correction...In other words place the stave on your caul or board and clamp the center...Look at limb tips and if they are 1 inch right of center then move 1/2 inch left of center as I heat and clamp...Allow to cool and recheck alignment...
                                                                                                      Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 08:45:57 pm »
I agree if you have a caul, otherwise just build up the center of the bows handle area on the 2x so that you're not losing any of the reflex when you clamp it down.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 09:39:57 pm »
Should I reduce the limbs to avoid breaking the stave?

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 01:49:34 am »
Jojo, I think your limbs are thin enough from the pictures...Do some research on heat bending and cauls...Osage lends itself to bending well with heat ;) You can build a caul but in a pinch you can place something between the handle and a flat board as Fred said, then bend the tips down in correction and allow to cool...I personally use dry heat with Osage from a heat gun...Here's some pics of start and finish...Notice the bow back to flat after tillering...Some areas of the limb were over 1/2 inch thick while heating...
                                                                                                                  Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Akteacher

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 06:30:35 am »
What did the bottom bow turn out to be?  I like the simple, clean lines/profile.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 11:20:05 am »
Just to be sure that you are all picking up what I am throwing down. This photo is of the back of the stave. Here is the same photo showing what I would like to do. Thanks again.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 03:31:56 pm »
 Yes, that's very doable...
                                       Don

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 04:09:59 pm »
I'd screw two 2x6 together in an l shape. Put blocks on the tips holding it away from the wall of the L shape and heat and clamp the center, bringing into alignment. I'd go for a little more than u need for it to be straight because it will bend back a little
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 05:55:29 pm »
Just to be sure that you are all picking up what I am throwing down. This photo is of the back of the stave. Here is the same photo showing what I would like to do. Thanks again.

Shouldn't be too hard.

I laterally corrected an elm stave that was worse than that, but elm might take heat better than osage, I'm not sure.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,46204.0.html

I ended up with a small crack in the handle because I didn't heat a long enough section of limb. The part that didn't get much heat cracked. But it was a stiff handle so wouldn't have affected anything, in fact it was almost gone by the end. The bow broke mid limb because I was stupid, but not because of the heating or bending :P