Author Topic: C Clamps  (Read 4639 times)

Offline Crogacht

C Clamps
« on: July 15, 2014, 06:41:54 am »
Hi Guys,

I wasn't even sure I should ask a question like this here, but as per usual I'll just do it anyway and realise it was stupid afterwards :D

I see a lot of heat correction in my future. Most of my staves will need some level of bending.

I don't have any C Clamps, but I need to get a bunch of them.

Is there any disadvantage to just buying heaps of 4 or 6 inch clamps? I'm thinking the big clamps will get the minor jobs done too, but if I buy small ones I won't be able to do the major jobs that require lots of movement in a direction.

All sorts of corrections, prop twist, reflex/deflex, lateral.. you name it, my stave will need it done.

So which ones should I get? Should I get a mixture of sizes?

Eventually I'll end up with lots of clamps that I will have picked up during my travels, but for now I need to buy 10+ so I can get to work on this stave.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: C Clamps
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 07:02:21 am »
Have several of each,mostly 6 inch clamps [can't have to many] ,but 4or5 - 8 and 10 inch for thick handles and other work,I also like the squeeze type for cold bending to get the stave ready for the real thing. The bigger ones are just much higher in cost so the majority of mine or the smaller ones.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 08:17:26 am »
Most of mine 4".  I have a few bigger and a few smaller.  You might want to get some of the F style clamps to.  If you have a Harbor Freight Tools store near you they have clamps at a decent price.  They go on sale every few weeks to. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 10:01:41 am »
I have a few big clamps and in some cases they are necessary. I also have 4" and just bought 4, 6" clamps. I also use a wood type screw clamp with the two screw handles. That comes in handy sometimes too. I use to use small clamps for tip and handle overlays but use rubber bands for most of that now.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 10:02:57 am »
I have a pile of C clamps, all sizes, I passed 50 of them long ago. I use the 6" near the middle of my bow glue ups and get smaller as I go to the tips with 2" the smallest that I use. I collected them over time, some high dollar American made bought one at a time, some Chinese. The American made never break, the Chinese do.

I made the glue up table to store my clamps and have a good area to glue up BBOs on. It is also great for doing bow layouts and drawing in trim lines.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 10:48:15 am »
I use almost all 2", except for the handle I use 4" or 6". I to have piles of c clamps in all sizes, but the 2" are easy to handle with one hand and work fine for me. I design my caul holes accordingly.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 12:37:25 pm »
I use 3" to 8" clamps along with f type clamps. Probably have more c clamps in the 4" range. I like the f clamps because I can use them like the c clamps or open them up and clamp around the caul for side to side corrections. Like said, never can have too many.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Zuma

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 07:43:21 pm »
I thought What clamps?
Glad I read the thread.
You - all are so good at making sense of your operational skills.
Thanks for sharing.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 09:16:26 pm »
Yeah this is actually really useful info, thanks guys.

Everyone is always so helpful even with very basic questions.

Do the bigger clamps ever "get in the way"? If not I'll probably just get a heap of 4 inch ones.

Also, a question on bending.

If I have a stave which needs correction along the whole length, is it best to work out from the handle along the limbs? I'm thinking yes?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 10:16:46 pm »
I always clamp the handle good and solid and work out from there.  When I do my heat bending I grab my F clamps and a handful of C clamps. 

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 10:22:15 pm »
I always clamp the handle good and solid and work out from there.  When I do my heat bending I grab my F clamps and a handful of C clamps. 

Makes a lot of sense. I was worried about needing giant clamps for the tips, but I guess if you think about it, working out from the handle heating/bending/clamping as you go, the amount of movement required at the tips will be greatly reduced by the time the rest of the limb is in the right spot.

Starting to become clear  8)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 10:59:25 pm »
Exactly.  When I get to the last clamp on the tip it only moves 1" or so.

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 11:19:47 pm »
Thanks everyone!!!  ;D

I know what needs to be done now... who knew you could get excited over clamping wood  ::)

I've studied a lot of things in my life so far, but these bits of wood are genuinely the most baffling thing I've come across. Amazing  :P

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 11:33:24 pm »
I have a pile of C clamps, all sizes, ...

You, sir, are a man of understatement!
And the organizational skill seems beyond reproach too.  Nice!!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 10:01:26 am »
One tip on reflexing a bow with heat that is floor tillered; If you start at the handle and work out you will often dogleg the limb slightly, it just happens. I clamp the tip first and bed the bow the way it wants to go back to the handle, I get no doglegging this way.