Author Topic: First attempt at a yew bow was a........failure!  (Read 6742 times)

Offline Red Dwarf

First attempt at a yew bow was a........failure!
« on: January 03, 2008, 10:52:09 pm »
After having made half a dozen board bows I thought that I should try a yew flat bow from some billets I harvested a couple of years ago.

About halfway through the tillering process the wood suddenly lost its strength (springiness). What did I do wrong??

Here are a couple of photos of the bow and I would welcome any and all comments/helpful advice.

Red Dwarf

[attachment deleted by admin]

duffontap

Re: First attempt at a yew bow was a........failure!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 11:25:08 pm »
It looks really good!  How much weight did you lose? 

J. D.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 11:26:07 pm »
Not sure what you mean by that, but yew a lot of times needs to be physically thicker than other woods to get the same amount of draw weight. Did the bow take a lot of set?
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Dano

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 11:50:53 pm »
How thick did you leave the sapwood? it shouldn't be any thicker than 3/16" .
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Red Dwarf

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 12:35:31 am »
I was heading towards 50# @ 26" but suddenly lost almost 10#.

I was wondering if things were bending a little too much close to the handle as the attempted bow took about 2" of string follow at the same time as the "weakening".

I thinned the sapwood down from 7/16 to 5/16...maybe should have taken it down further?

Here is a picture of another pair of billets for my next attempt, you can see the thickness of the sapwood (7/16 - 1/2").

Red Dwarf

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 12:03:38 pm »
Where did the set occur?  All from one spot or was it spread uniformly?  That tells you if you had a weak spot versus just the normal process of training the bow to bend.  2" of set is expected with a selfbow that has a reasonable design.  As far as losing springiness, I suppose if you over-stressed the wood a bunch by pulling it past the intended weight on the tiller tree, you could fatigue it unneccessarily.  Did you do that?  The only other thing that comes to mind, is that once you get to the "sweet spot" you can make a big defference in weight with a very small amount of wood removal.  And its quite easy to blow past this spot, because the process of getting to it requires mroe agressive removal.  Its because the relationship between thickness and poundage isn't linear, its more nearly exponential (twice as thick, eight times as strong, to be exact).

A fellow who is experienced with yew bows, told me you can't have too much sapwood.  Only too little.  So I don't think that was a problem, although with a flatbow you might have been running out of heartwood on the belly side?  You wouldn't want the belly to be sapwood.

Good looking billets.  Keep at it, I broke my first yew bow so your maiden voyage beats mine.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 01:43:09 pm »
Did you exercise the limbs as you removed wood? In most cases this will prevent such things from happening all of a sudden.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

duffontap

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 01:43:26 pm »
I wouldn't call that a failure.  2" is a lot of set for that bow to have taken but you ended up with a nicely-tillered, 40# bow and I'd hardly call that a total loss. 

If I could guess, I would say that you possibly braced this bow very early at a high draw weight and began to take it down?  That would account for the set and the rapid loss of weight--especially with Yew.  Torges articulates this phenomenon in 'Hunting the Osage Bow.'  I can explain in more detail if you think that might be what happened.

J. D.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 02:48:51 pm »
Does belly tempering work on YEW ?
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 01:19:01 pm »
I've found that if i didn't exercise the stave at partial draws after each wood removal then the weight loss could register all of a sudden. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline David Long

• Only dead fish swim with the stream.
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 01:21:33 pm »
What is the RH/MC? Properly dried?
Dave
NW Montana

Offline Red Dwarf

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 03:02:06 am »
Jawge

I think that you may have nailed it. Now that you have mentioned it, I probably got a little carried away with making my 1st bow in 12 months and not exercised it enough whilst tillering.

I do not have a moisture meter so cannot comment on the MC other that to say that the short stave was left outside, protected from the weather but well aired for 22 months prior to being split into billets and worked.

JD

I didn't take it iff of the long string until the tips were moving about 9", then braced it to 2" and later to 4". I think that I probably just went at the tillering a bit on the quick side. Where's that bucket of water when you need it...??

I may shorten it a little and see what I can get; I only draw 26" so could get away with it.

I have started on another bow and will post pictures for comments as I go along.

Many thanks for the great replies.

Red Dwarf

« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 12:01:40 pm by Red Dwarf »

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 11:13:28 am »
Red Dwarf: Just get back on that horse and ride. I'm with JD, that bow is not a failure just lighter than you wanted. Now you get the chance to infect someone else with the traditional virus and thats a good thing.

Jawge: Early on in my studies of this craft I recognized the wisdom of exercising the wood. I think that is and should be taught as foundational to proper tillering. Not only that, if you are using a tillering tree with a pulley it makes for excellent resistance exercise.  Thats what I call good mulit-task time management. Lol    Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God