Author Topic: short bendy handle hhb  (Read 2137 times)

Offline Bloodhound

short bendy handle hhb
« on: July 06, 2014, 05:24:16 pm »
I just got back from my dads house in MN and brought with me a stave I cut July 2nd last year. It is a 52.5 in hophornbeam that is really a nice piece. No twist at all and only minor knots. I intend to make it a short bendy handle bow that I can hunt with either this fall (if I get rolling on it quickly) or the following. Looking for some advice on dimensions as this will be a shorter bow that I have worked on before.

Also there is an old thread written by a guy from Canada I believe that walks through a build of a very similar bow I have read it a few times over the year I have waited for this to dry and it was actually my inspiration to cut this piece but I cannot find it now, if anyone knows of it I would appreciate it, remember he went over how to do a finish of crisco, bees wax and pine tar if that helps jog anyone's memory.

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: short bendy handle hhb
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 05:45:53 pm »
Are you talking about half eye's build along?  I been looking for that one too and havent' been able to find it recently. 
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Bloodhound

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 06:35:37 pm »
Thats the one

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 08:04:40 pm »
Bloodhound, Glad to give you some dimensions, sir 8) Just back from camping will try to get them tomorrow........even though ya called me a Canadian, eh?  :o
rich

Offline Bloodhound

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 08:45:33 pm »
Yea sorry about that, been awhile since I read that build along. I appreciate your help.

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 03:08:33 pm »
BH....here's the layout info. I have a photo of a drawing so you can get the general idea of how to lay them out. I use proportions because for me, they apply better to odd length sticks, as opposed to strict hard measurements.

There are 4 pieces in the photos marked from 1 to 4 with 1 and 3 being rough outs and 2 and 4 being shooting bows. I am going to list their actual measurements but please understand that they are NOT made to a set of measurements....they are given so you can see the differences n layout with nearly identical results.

NOTE: the 3 figures for @ bow stick are taken at mid bow, mid limb, and just below the tip. This applies to width and thickness.

Hope this helps you and if I have not explained clearly PLEASE let me know.
rich

Forgot to say the last photo, of me trying to bend a bow (floor tiller) so you can see how stiff that little bugger is.

Stick #            Length and weight         width          thickness

1.                 47-1/4"  wont bend          1.35"            .765"
                                                          1.25"            .615
                                                          1.01"            .450

2.                 40 1/2"  46# @ 21            .975"           .505
                                                           .970            .385
                                                           .955            .320

3.                  53"  ( about 50@ floor)    1.20"           .702"
                                                            .958           .601
                                                            .810           .470

4.                  53"  56# @ 30"               1.30"             .800"
                                                             .995           .468
                                                             .725          .350             

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 03:32:58 pm »
But half eye where's the build along?  I scoured through the build along section and your posts and couldn't find it
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!