Author Topic: what to do with long n thick osage blanks?  (Read 2058 times)

Offline coyote1956

what to do with long n thick osage blanks?
« on: July 02, 2014, 10:23:50 pm »
I have several nice osage bow blanks seasoned for about 4 years now  they are long the one i am working on now is 75" tip to tip the one on far right.  I have no string this long and bow is way heavvy  not tillered yet just roughed out. got a long string on it to start tillering.  i like abow about 45 #  this is 1/2 thick on limbs and wide. should i trim it less wide or thin the thickness? and i know shortening will stiffen but then thin accordingly?  its just so long....    i have 100 strings new but not one this long...   what do you guys suggest i do, shorten bow some , or leave long and search for string maker and no i aint makin my own string i have time to do bow but too much else to learn and make strings LOL.    any and ll help appreciated.  also  my sons bow osage was nmade  4 yrs ago when it was kinda green wood  not seaoned it now has about a 2-3" string follow.   can this be heated dry heat or steam and clamps between 2x4's  on limbs to set them back some less string follow or is that bad for the already shot in seasoned wood ? thanks , ken 
“A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. The ethics of sportsmanship is not a fixed code, but must be formulated by the individual, with no referee but the Almighty.” Aldo Leupold

Old Town, FL.

Offline Crogacht

Re: what to do with long n thick osage blanks?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 10:30:06 pm »
You should make your own string ;) I've only made 5 or 6, but started with zero experience, now it takes me about 15 minutes to make one. A longer string doesn't take any more time if you only twist the ends like most people do.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 10:52:46 pm »
What kind of draw length are you wanting from them?  Unless you want an extremely long draw, I would shorten them and save the scraps for knife handles.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline coyote1956

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 10:58:10 pm »
I draw 27"  and like 45 # bow.   thinking of cutting it shorter. 
“A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. The ethics of sportsmanship is not a fixed code, but must be formulated by the individual, with no referee but the Almighty.” Aldo Leupold

Old Town, FL.

Offline J05H

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 11:07:33 pm »
I think you should cut them down some. For 27" draw and a stiff handle, you should be somewhere around 64" ttt but if you're new to this, I'd say 66' - 68" would be better. Just remember, you can always take more off, but you can't put it back.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 11:35:54 pm »
Nice staves. It would be a real shame if you cut out those cool bends out of the staves on the right. You could also make these into classic American flatbows for target shooting. At least 4" fades and narrow limbs
about 1&1/4" -1&3/8" wide, 72-74" between the nocks rather than the shorter wider hunting style.

Dry heat, with a heat gun, and oil will work well to take the stringfollow out, of the original bow. A caul that bends after the fades is best. You want to be careful of bending the area around the fades/handle as if the wood is thick you can crack it. You want to do one limb at a time, rather than both  limbs at once, cranking down with a clamp at the handle to reflex it simultaneously. The latter approach will work better with steaming, making sure you steam long enough for the handles thickness.
                      Hamish.

Offline J05H

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 11:53:38 pm »
It would be a real shame if you cut out those cool bends out of the staves on the right.

I agree, however I don't think taking it down to 66" would get into them on either blank. But that's just my opinion.
BTW, those are all very good looking staves. I wish I had some prime stuff like that.

Josh
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline coyote1956

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 01:29:42 pm »
thanks guys i appreciate your inputs.   yes i know nice grade blanks hate to mess any up   will be only my second bow build :)   Ken

Old Town, FL.