Author Topic: Tree ID  (Read 3744 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: Tree ID
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 08:59:32 am »
We are in Utah. It is strange to see this tree here. It is in a wetland area. The trees around it are Cotton wood, Russian olive and Willow. It is right in the middle of a stand of Russian olive. The fruit is the same as any Mulberry I have ever seen, but I am not a Arborist. The issue with photos of the leaves on the tree its self is that there aren't any until about 10 or 12 feet up. Thanks again guys.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 07:39:51 pm »
It looks like a white mulberry to me.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 12:23:25 am »
Looks like a pretty good sized tree!  Most of the mulberry trees that grow in my area are not nearly that big or straight!  I like mulberry - will make a nice bow.  BTW - mulberry trees are usually male or female (dioecious) not both.  Thus the females will produce fruits and the males will not.  It may not produce fruit and still be a mulberry.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 08:53:53 am »
It does have fruit. It is still just light green. This tree will not be cut, even if it were on private property, it is just in too good of shape, and they are not very common around here. Off the top of my head I know of one other Mulberry in my area, and I only know of that because my friend planted it. I am going to talk to the current owners of the home, as the tree is about 8 inches away from their foundation, and I want it ::) . I'll offer them a trade, the wood, for removal of the tree.

About the straightness of the tree. It is in the same grove from where we found the Russian olive, both very straight. The only reason we took the Russian olive is because it was already down. It came from an area that has a few ponds, as well as tons of cane.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.