Author Topic: Looking for extensive pyramid bow building experiment thread  (Read 2625 times)

Offline kiltedcelt

Looking for extensive pyramid bow building experiment thread
« on: August 05, 2014, 08:11:54 pm »
Probably a couple years back someone posted a fairly extensive thread about their experiments building some pyramid bows. Going off of Tim Baker's info on the pyramid design and it's inherent efficiency, the poster was examining a way of building pyramid bows from boards that would require minimal tillering to produce a shootable bow. If I remember correctly the original poster was using a table saw to rip pyramid bow blanks at an even thickness for the entire length and then was cutting the tapers with a bandsaw. Does anyone remember this thread, or who the poster was? Also, I can't remember if it was actually posted here or over on Paleo Planet. I've tried the forum search on both sites and have come up with zilch so far. I have some interesting thoughts I'd like to experiment with by building some pyramid bows, but I don't want to duplicate effort either. If someone has already experimented with an easy way of kind of churning out the design, I'd like to see their methodology so I don't go reinventing the wheel so to speak.

Offline bubby

Re: Looking for extensive pyramid bow building experiment thread
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 08:49:13 pm »
you might be talking about me here's the link, and I bumped it up on the how to page http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,35312.0.html
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 09:04:29 pm »
Nice build-along Bubby, and a nice looking bow at the end! It's not the specific thread I remember but it certainly distills down the process to a very simplified build. Are you tillering by scraping on the sides of the bow, or using the gizmo to mark the flat spots and then scraping those areas on the belly? I was under the impression from what I'd read in the Baker piece in TBB that you're scraping the sides of the bow versus the belly, similar to what one does with a f-glass bow, since you can't actually scrape the f-glass to get the limbs bending evenly.

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 09:40:03 pm »
I'm sure I have read that thread... it wasn't in TBB was it? It's either here on PA or in there, because I don't really go anywhere else. I can't find it either right now, will let you know if I do.

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 10:18:27 pm »
Just from that description it sounds like something Woodbear on PaleoPlanet might have had something to do with. I can't find a specific thread.

Another possibility is this: http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/53333/The-Four-Horsemen-bows Unfortunately though it looks like it was never followed up. I would have liked to see the results.

But my hunch is that it was on PP.

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 11:25:36 pm »
ezc - it's not that thread you linked to. It might still be on PP, but it definitely had to do with making bows from boards with a table saw, not staves for sure.

Offline flungonin

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 11:58:39 pm »
Have you looked in "Tradgang"

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 12:51:06 am »
No, the thread was on PA or PP, that I know for sure. I just can't remember which site and the search wasn't exactly helpful.

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 02:53:29 am »
A pyramid will have little thickness taper but it will have some. Mostly near the fades to stop it bending too much there. If you are reducing it from the sides you are increasing strain (all else being equal), so if you want to lighten the limbs (grams/ounces!) and you don't have any set then tiller from the edges.
Once you've figured out the thickness your wood likes to be  then adjust the width to get required draw weight or make it thinner for a longer draw/thicker for a shorter draw.
Thats pyramids in a nutshell  :D

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 06:51:15 am »
It sounds like something fiddler49 could have done. But I ran a Google search in PaleoPlanet for his username and the word 'pyramid', which then comes up pretty empty.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286