Author Topic: Elm Stave  (Read 9279 times)

Offline Benedikt

Re: Elm Stave
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2014, 08:40:54 am »
Hmmm....that's difficult  :-\

One the one hand, when the bending is more regular, the bow mabye will have a longer lifetime.
But one the other hand, when the knots get to weak, he could break there.

I would weaken the outer third a little bit, just a few scratches, then check again.
When you have many problem zones in the outer thirds, let in bend more near the handle, so just weaken it a little bit in small steps, like I said.
Regards,
Benedikt
A dream is not reality, but who is to say which is which?

Offline Richard B

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2014, 12:33:45 pm »
Reached 28" draw with 57lbs! Well pleased to have hit my target draw weight and my target tillered shape (well, not too far off) with my first full sized bow :).
I wimped out on the knot at the end of the right hand limb, leaving lots of wood around it (sides and belly), which has meant that the tip of the limb is a little stiff.
The second picture shows the bow and the miniature that I made from this stave. Wasnt sure I was going to be able to make something of the stave when I saw the condtion of the surface under the bark.Sting follow is just under 2", most of that gained early on while I thought that holding at draw was a good way to exercise the limbs. Thanks for the heads up on that one darksoul. Will sort myself out with a proper arrangement with a pulley for my next bow. With this one I used a camera with a self timer. Set it off and then counted the seconds off and drew the bow just long enough for the shutter to go off.A bit hectic, but seemed to work OK (no more string follow!). Did that every inch of draw from 23 to 28 inches. Was surprized at how much material I had to take off to get from 55lbs at 23 inches to 57lbs at 28 inches.
Both bows have been a great learning experience. Many thanks for all your help on the way through :).

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2014, 05:43:35 pm »
That turned out great Richard.  I really like it.  I like the stiff tips.  Looks like a great shooter :)

Offline VicNova

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2014, 07:52:46 pm »
That looks awesome! Super fantastic tiller. A++
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2014, 08:17:37 pm »
Looks excellent :D

I've been hoping it would turn out well for you, especially since I just broke my first elm stave  ::)... was hoping you'd show it whos boss ;)

I've started my next elm stave, nearly got the bark off and the back clean, and I think I need to take a page out of your book, and slow it down, be more careful and do a good job this time.

Do you have a plan for your next bow yet?

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2014, 08:30:15 pm »
You did an excellent job!
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline JayRob

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2014, 03:34:38 am »
Looks great. congrats!

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2014, 05:16:45 am »
Really nice bow!!!
... and even the big one is not bad  ;)

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2014, 08:09:38 am »
The bow is bending nicely and looks great, real good work on that piece of elm. Now you get to enjoy shooting it as a reward for all the hard work, looks like it will hold up for years. :)

I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2014, 08:45:05 am »
Nice tiller and really like the character on the back 8) I'm a fan of stiff outers...
                                                                                                                          Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2014, 10:46:05 am »
Very nice work!  The photo with the miniature is awesome.  With the stiff outers and the 2" of follow, it would be a great candidate for flipping the tips.  Congratulations on hitting your mark!!!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Richard B

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2014, 01:32:07 pm »
Many thanks for the kind comments.
Next plan is to build a set of arrows of varying spine so I can learn a bit about dynamic spine on a non center shot bow (which I find a bit confusing).
I am feeling a bit more confident now to return to making a takedown from the rather nice yew billets I got from Carson!