Author Topic: Alberta Bowyers  (Read 7070 times)

Offline JayRob

Re: Alberta Bowyers
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 02:28:51 pm »
Although I do plan to start seasoning my own staves this summer. I am really looking for one that's already seasoned and good to go. I am curious, What are the laws on cutting down trees?

Any reason why you can't go out and just have a look along a road allowance for an Ash ?

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 02:49:46 pm »
I think adb knows a guy in that area, might want to shoot him a PM.

Not sure if he'll give it up though... would probably be akin to asking a fisherman to give up one of his best honey holes ;)

Offline bushboy

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 04:45:19 pm »
Maybe try stoker,he's from medicine hat or moose jaw ?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline JayRob

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 01:57:52 am »
I think adb knows a guy in that area, might want to shoot him a PM.

Not sure if he'll give it up though... would probably be akin to asking a fisherman to give up one of his best honey holes ;)

adb has been generous. I'm very thankful and relieved that I have a source. It's not local but its close enough! :)

Offline Stoker

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 10:36:17 am »
Maybe try stoker,he's from medicine hat or moose jaw ?

Medicine Hat.. 3 hours from Calgary... Travis (Barrage) and Jaye (Dilligent) They are in Calgary.. They may know someone
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Stoker

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2014, 06:30:22 pm »
Just remembering... Black forest products had staves on their website might be able to order from them... I beleive there is 2 stores.. only one I've been to is the one just ofa Blackfoot trail by shooters edge.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline JayRob

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2014, 07:51:07 pm »
Just remembering... Black forest products had staves on their website might be able to order from them... I beleive there is 2 stores.. only one I've been to is the one just ofa Blackfoot trail by shooters edge.
Thanks Leroy

I went into blackforest a few weeks ago and with no luck. Maybe I will try again.
thank you for your input.

Iben

Offline Barrage

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2014, 11:54:28 pm »
Iben, replied to your pm but will post it here as well.

I've never bought a stave and I don't think I've ever seen any around.  I have heard rumors that you can get them at Calgary Archery Center and Windsor Plywood (Airdrie location).

You can find some decent boards of maple and likely oak at Windsor Plywood.  Stoker mentioned Black Forest and they have a reasonable selection for boards from what I remember. The only staves I've had are chokecherry, saskatoon and a couple of city trees after Calgary drivers generously pushed them over after winter storms.  ;)  Can't have a dangerous tree lying in the road...     :D

Pat B - We live in a different world up here!  It's either bald prairie or Northern trees - coniferous (but no yew or juniper), birches, and popular family trees dominate.  You can find the odd stand of chokecherry and saskatoon though.  I was down in SC a couple weeks ago and that got the wood envy meter right cranked...
Travis

Offline bushboy

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2014, 08:21:37 am »
If you talk to the guys at Windsor ply they will order you a stave,but then again you'll never know what it will look like.maybe try the boys at rose city bowers or raven beak
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2014, 08:33:50 am »
I would have thought you would see the odd Elm here and there.  I've seen it growing up around Hearst which is quite far North from me, most likely been introduced there
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Barrage

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2014, 08:27:41 pm »
Marc, any species like elm, ash, maple etc are usually planted by cities or farmers around their farmyard.
Travis

Offline Diligence

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2014, 11:11:56 pm »
Hey gang, long time.

I've shot Iben a PM regarding some info.

All the bows I have made have come from Calgary's planted trees (Elm and one unidentified white wood - perhaps a Russian olive).  Remind me to tell you about the time that not only did a Police Officer, but also a City 24 hr crew "wave" at me when I was cutting up a tree at 8pm on a major roadway.  Wear an orange vest and look like you should be there.......

Barrage and I figured we could pull that off right in the middle of downtown at our lunch break a few weeks ago when the city was planning the removal of at least 20 mature Brandon Elms.  As I told Iben, enough staves in there for decades of bow building for me.

See you later.
Jaye
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.