Author Topic: Challenge bow thread  (Read 19999 times)

Offline scp

Re: Challenge bow thread
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2014, 09:22:58 am »
Earlier I said I wanted to see a 40# self bow that can shoot 40 ft-lbs. I guess that would be probably impossible. I might try to build a 50# self bow that can generate 40 ft-lbs. I'm not sure I'll be able to do that soon. But I know that it is definitely possible and there are plenty of people here who have done it. I also would like to see any self bow made from any 2x4 of any kind. I might as well look for a straight grained 2x4 whenever I go to the lumber store.

Offline Badger

Re: Challenge bow thread
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2014, 09:36:04 am »
Earlier I said I wanted to see a 40# self bow that can shoot 40 ft-lbs. I guess that would be probably impossible. I might try to build a 50# self bow that can generate 40 ft-lbs. I'm not sure I'll be able to do that soon. But I know that it is definitely possible and there are plenty of people here who have done it. I also would like to see any self bow made from any 2x4 of any kind. I might as well look for a straight grained 2x4 whenever I go to the lumber store.

This is a good challenege, I know it has been done but not often. 190 fps from a 50# bow shooting 500 grains is 40ft#'s. If you take a bow storing a lot of energy and load it up with a very heavy arrow it is not so hard to achieve. I have experimented with 3000 grain arrows fired through chronos as a way of measuring stored energy. Bows tend to become very efficient when the load goes up.