Author Topic: How prone to checking is maple?  (Read 1279 times)

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
How prone to checking is maple?
« on: June 12, 2014, 10:42:33 am »
I just cut a bunch (an entire ~10" tree's worth) of sugar maple (Acer saccharum) the other day. It is only sectioned up. I have seven 7' logs. I slathered glue onto the ends, but so far haven't done anything with them.

After work today I plan on getting at least a few of them split up and debarked. After getting the bark off, should I put glue on the back of the staves?

Because of the way the wood is (diffuse-porous, early rings are just kind of lines) it doesn't seem likely to me that checking will be a terrible problem.

It's not much trouble to seal the backs, if I should, but if I do I'll need to go buy a lot more glue/poly/shellac/whatever. If I don't need it, I won't bother.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How prone to checking is maple?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 10:55:54 am »
I've never worked sugar maple but I'd at least split the logs in half, give them a few weeks then split out staves. If you peel the bark seal the backs well. I like spray shellac but the brush on type shellac works as well as wood glue
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 11:25:23 am »
Just did a few Sugar Maples.  Love the wood btw.  I split them into staves, sealed the ends and left the bark on (since last july).  The bark kinda sloughed off when I was ready to work each one.  No checking and no working the back beyond some lite sanding to remove the cambium and clean it up.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 12:34:54 pm »
In your opinion, should I leave the bark on these? I know it will come off easily now.

The tree was at a neighbors. It fell down living. Bug/woodpecker damage low on the tree. My hope is that it was localized there. Just from my eye the wood looks sound, but I won't know until I start getting into it. So for that reason I'd also like to get the bark off, to see if the outer rings are garbage.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 12:55:33 pm »
If it has some damage might as well find out now I guess. As said, I left mine bark on. One stave out of the 4 had a little bug damage. The other 3 were clean as a whistle and easy to work.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.