Author Topic: So Ashamed- Buying Wood  (Read 11248 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: So Ashamed- Buying Wood
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2007, 10:08:51 pm »
Good lord - what a stash. Sooo could a feller just make a quick run through MO and load up? Think I already know the answer ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2007, 09:37:12 am »
He could if he knew the directions to this fellers homestead.

Honestly, there are frequently osage fenceposts for sale at livestock auctions around here.  So by calling one of the auction places they could probably put you in touch with someone who cuts these things as a side job.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2007, 10:23:42 pm »
  The first osage I ever got to work on came from an older than dirt fence post a buddie brought me from Missouri.I still have a piece of it left.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2007, 08:44:56 pm »
Finally got a decent day when I could attack the pile of hedge splits.  I dragged it out and knocked the snow off yesterday, today I split out belly splits, hogged bark and sapwood off a few and basically culled anything that wasn't going to be usable.  This tree had some wind shakes or something in it, ruined a fair amount of the wood as you can see from the waste pile.  The log was 9' long but there were knots on one end and funky grain on the other so I had to cut both ends to make staves.  I was hoping to make billets as well as staves, no dice.  I ended up with enough wood for about sixteen bows if you count a couple of short staves.  I think there were three sets of sister billets, the rest is still as 72" staves.  I've still got a lot of work to do but I made some progress today.  In any case, just thought I'd post a follow-up in the event someone needed something to drool over.  I just saw an ad in the paper for hedge posts, don't know if I will call or not.  My hands hurt from all the drawknifing/splitting/froeing.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Dano

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2007, 08:59:05 pm »
Nice lookin pile of wood there Lennie, settin where I'm at, I'd make the call. I'll be the one with all the hedge in the back of my truck goin home from Ojam and Mojam next year. ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2007, 09:38:17 pm »
So you're an importer now?  Guess its nicer to drag a few staves down there and not have to deal with the ice and snow up here.  Its been pretty nasty for this early in the year.

I want to get down to OJAM this year, sounds like fun.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Dano

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2007, 09:50:06 pm »
Yep!! 'Importer" that sounds better. I don't miss that nasty winter stuff at all buddy. I know you would have fun at Ojam, more bows get made there than at Mojam, but ya just gotta do both. Stay warm and cuddled up to Shannon.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2008, 10:39:31 am »
Keep posting them picalongs Lennie ;D, always nice to have something to drool over even if it is online :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

duffontap

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2008, 01:55:55 pm »
What a treat!  That would be a years' worth of bow building for me--easily.  If I could buy staves that cheap, I would do it without a bit of shame.  Although, I do like going out and cutting them, too.

J. D.