Author Topic: seasoning elm?  (Read 2310 times)

Offline bushboy

seasoning elm?
« on: June 05, 2014, 07:57:50 pm »
Sorry I know this question comes up a lot,but I was wondering if there are different ways to handle it depending on seasonal condition?I cut the wood around supper time and the daytime highs are about 30c.I know to seal the ends but I'm wondering if I should remove the bark,split it ,seal the back with something like shellac?thx's Rob!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline JonW

Re: seasoning elm?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 08:10:46 pm »
Rob I usually just split, peel the bark and let it sit. Always seal the ends. If you take it down to rough bow shape and bring it in the house Elm will dry really quick.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 05:28:54 am »
Rob I usually just split, peel the bark and let it sit. Always seal the ends. If you take it down to rough bow shape and bring it in the house Elm will dry really quick.
I do the same, rough out to a very heavy bow, wide tips and handle and store dry in my shop. Just roughed out 6 elms over the past few days with no checking or warping.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 06:26:37 am »
I would at least split it and remove the bark,it should come off easy this time of year,I also seal the back. I know some don't without a problem but I have seen it check before and it ant worth the chance to me. ;) I just use watered down cheap wood glue to seal with.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline dwardo

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 09:01:43 am »
Only time I have had elm check is when i split a larger log, about 10/12 inch wide. I roughed out one half into two or three bows which were fine, the other half I left without the bark on and it checked on the back. Just too much internal stress due to the width and thickness.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 09:15:42 am »
Ya I always said the same with Hickory,then one year for some reason it checked,don't know why for sure but lost a lot of hard work,that is when I decided to seal all wood I debark when green. If it happens then it's to late. :) Glue is cheap and pretty good insurance. ;) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good