Author Topic: Video of me breaking a white oak bow  (Read 6146 times)

Offline scp

Re: Video of me breaking a white oak bow
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 02:49:46 pm »
I would have broken it on a tillering tree. I had my share of broken bows, mostly white oak and I still have several more white oak bows with tiny cracks, I might try to repair. I must have done something wrong with those white oak staves. Not sure if that's possible but they might have been frozen because I kept them outdoors over the winter.

blackhawk

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2014, 04:38:53 pm »
I've had 3 or 4 hickories pop splinters on me as well Parnell,and all were from different sources and trees...so from my experiences with it I don't put as much stock into it as some other people do... :-\

Just a bad piece maybe Cody...the oaks have been funny to me...some have been excellent,some so so n just ok-ish,and some suck or are brittle like...I'm starting to not care what color the wood is anymore....they all can break....lol.  :laugh:

Offline Traxx

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2014, 08:15:50 pm »
Loved the intro....

This,Is a piece of crap bow.LOL!!!!!

Offline gmc

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 10:18:06 pm »
That was fun to watch.

Thanks for sharing.
Central Kentucky

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2014, 02:38:07 am »
Thanks for sharing that Chris.  I think you are on the right track when you suspected heartwood isnt as strong in tension as sapwood in white oak. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2014, 07:54:15 am »
Nice video Chris, and funny.  I think I heard a couple ticks, but could not see the crack in the close-up.  The end result was plane enough. 
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN