Author Topic: European dogwood character stickbow (pics!)  (Read 13088 times)

mikekeswick

Re: European dogwood character stickbow (pics!)
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 02:28:41 am »
Sweet bow Jorik! You've folllowed all the undulations very well. An eye pleasing tiller  :)
I've been looking for cornus mas for ages with no joy. I only want a 12 inch piece for a hornbow handle.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 02:40:56 am »
Cool bow.  I like the simple design and finish.  Great Pics too!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 05:42:41 am »
Very nice ,simple and loaded with character. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 07:45:45 am »
Real nice work, very graceful looking full draw bend as well.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2014, 09:43:13 am »
Thank you for the comments everyone :)

@SeanStuart and @matthijsc: this bow was finished with a water based parquetry varnish, Hermadix brand.

@okie64 and @killir duck: you are right! :D This bow is inspired by Druid! The pic on top of that fencepost gives it away. I tried to copy his photography as well.

@Pearl Drums: I'm used to nock overlays, which I purposely did not want to add to this stickbow. Normally I file in a string groove only to the back of the bow (overlay) and not on the sides. In this case, I had to file in the grooves on the sides of the limbs. When rounding the corners of the grooves, they kinda automatically grooved the back a little. If that makes sense. It's funny you all notice the string groove... It's really minor, in my opinion. Only 1/16" deep. There's still 7/16" of wood underneath the string groove, so plenty of thickness for the draw weight. It also has plenty of width at the tips, and combined with the fact that this is not a ring porous wood (which is more sensitive to string grooves cut into the back), I'm not so worried. The other nock has hardly any groove in the back.

@Jodocus: no heat correction was performed. It wasn't really necessary either, although there is a little bit of reflex and deflex here and there. I was indeed lucky to find this stave. I have one more stave of this wood left (same quality), but that's probably it. I doubt I can ever find more of this dogwood. However, I have just harvested two more staves of Cornus sanguinea a few days ago :) Here in Europe, we have two indigenous species of Cornus. Cornelian cherry, and common dogwood. I have not yet tried the Cornus sanguinea, but it is said to be excellent bow wood, although slightly less than Cornus mas. The fresh wood seems very similar, although maybe slightly less dense. I should be able to compare the two species, once this new Cornus sanguinea has dried. Probably takes another two years at least...

@mikekeswick: following the undulations was the most time consuming part. You want a knot to be little bit stiff, but how can you do that with 19 knots? I meticulously followed every bump of the back with a little dip on the belly. You can see that nicely in the pic where the belly is facing up. It made tillering difficult for sure. A scraper is useless with this many knots.
I would have no problem finding a 12" section of this dogwood, but it will probably have knots every 3-4 inches, just like this stave. The longest section of clean wood in this bow is 13 cm.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2014, 04:56:06 pm »
Jorik, Very interesting bow, good job working through all the character... 8) The back of the bow, tiller and photography are great...I like the all natural look...
                                                                                    Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2014, 07:44:35 am »
Very nice humpy bumpy bow Jorik, what's about the performance?
I have made 2 out of cornealian and 3 in progress, I'm still not shure what's the best design for that wood

Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Josh B

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2014, 12:12:37 pm »
Nicely done.  You definitely projected a Druid influence with the bow and photography.  Josh

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2014, 05:54:04 pm »
Thanks Don and Josh :)

Simon, I'm much more of a bowyer than an archer. I can't tell you much about the performance. I've only shot a few dozens of arrows from this bow, and it shoots fine. Draws smooth as heck and no handshock at all. I don't expect a speed demon with this much character and slightly overbuilt tips. But it shoots fine. Please let me know about how your Cornelian cherry bows turn out. This is only my first try as well, but the stave didn't offer many options as far as design goes. However, given the high density and high elasticity of the wood, I'm convinced a narrow longbow is better than a wide flatbow.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Banjoe

• 苦海無邊
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2014, 06:07:17 pm »
Inspiring!

Thanks for sharing!
Even a blind pig finds an acorn some of the time.