Author Topic: ABO as Fine Art ...Sneak Peek  (Read 2917 times)

Offline iowabow

ABO as Fine Art ...Sneak Peek
« on: May 30, 2014, 12:57:41 pm »
This is a vertical wall hung art work that I just completed for a show in July. It will not make much sense to those outside the flint knapping world. If you have ever searched for flint and found it in layers it is a very exciting moment full of possibilities. I have always liked the concept of layering in art and so this work is created from the material found in my debitage pit that is layered from years of working ABO and the material comes from layers of rock in the area (for the most part). This work is kinda like a totem to my work with flint and the formation that the rock comes from. I use the format that ag core soil samples are displayed in as a presentation of my idea. Enjoy
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 01:02:55 pm by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: ABO as Fine Art ...Sneak Peek
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 01:03:16 pm »
Neat. How long is that thing? 40"? dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 01:09:28 pm »
The making of "layers"
http://youtu.be/iC40zTcExQU
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 01:14:48 pm by iowabow »

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 01:10:14 pm »
Neat. How long is that thing? 40"? dp
I think it is 4 feet maybe.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 02:53:42 pm »
That is interesting...

I have wondered how difficult it would be to get at least one or as many different types as possible from each state and make a point to represent it. Not matching the point to the state but just the type of rocks that are found in each state. Put them all on a board to display. I think some states have several kinds and others only have one or two.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 03:26:02 pm »
That is interesting...

I have wondered how difficult it would be to get at least one or as many different types as possible from each state and make a point to represent it. Not matching the point to the state but just the type of rocks that are found in each state. Put them all on a board to display. I think some states have several kinds and others only have one or two.
Yes that would make for a very interesting display

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 12:36:32 pm »
Very nice iowabow. I've been keeping a bucket of what I sweep up from the shop after knapping, thinking someday there may be a use for it. Glad you found one.
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Lobo69ss

• Born 200 years too late
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 10:10:51 pm »
I`ve started using my debitage to create a layered "rock" garden... since I`ve made purty gravel out of different types of Obsidian, man made glass, Novaculite, red & black pipestone, some Texas rock, various cherts,both heat treated & raw,  as well as a few different flavors of agates... it makes an interesting background to lay some of my failures out in... points with missing ears, beautimous blades, so close to being finished, but then I just HAD to go back for that small hinge that was annoying me.... yup, it just decided to become 2 shorter points...  Naw, just toss `em into the fancy debitage showplace... Someday I might go back for some of them to see if I can address the oopsies that got `em out there... In the meantime, my Grandkids & other visitors here all want to see how many shiny things they can spot... some of `em are actually decent points/blades,... I can`t have `em all be trash, ya know...
The man who sees the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 11:15:27 am »
Very clever idea! 
1’—>1’

Offline iowabow

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 11:50:41 am »
Thanks I have been working for a year on these ideas and it is difficult to use these materials in a creative way that has not been seen before. There will be four of them made from very different primitive type materials all on this thin vertical format. It is a very different approach to image making with these materials, I keep running into other cultures' icons so its a big challenge.