Author Topic: Basic basic tillering question  (Read 2842 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Basic basic tillering question
« on: May 29, 2014, 02:49:42 pm »
Prior to this current project I managed to craaaaack 2 Holmagabett works in progress.  So would really like to get this one completed!

Current project seems as simple as can get.  Simple flat bow for 10-year-old.  No riser.  Dimensions are length=54" NtN; handle=3"l x 1.25"w x .875d; fades=2.25"l x 1.25"w x .56d @ begin of limb; limbs=22.5" fade-to-nock x 1.25 to .5w x .63 to .35d.  Hickory self bow.

Bow is intended for granddaughter who's 10 years old.  Draw of approx 20-22".  Weight is a guess at this point, with guess being 15-18 lb.

Getting very close.  Here's the bow at full brace.  And @ 12" draw.  And @ full 20" draw.  Weight is a bit over 20#, so still have a bit to lose.  And looks like that's a good thing since left limb is not matching right.  Your input would be most appreciated!

Should have pulled to full draw earlier so I could see left limb is wayyyyy behind right.  Since still have 3-4 lbs to lose, how should I proceed?

Thanks for lookin'
Michael
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 02:57:20 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Basic basic tillering question
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 03:02:09 pm »
A little stiff off the right side fade. Other than that Id say you got it nailed down.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 03:05:44 pm »
What Pearlie said!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 03:13:50 pm »
Agree with PD, maybe a touch stiff on the right fade. What does the straight edge say?  Assuming it is flat unbraced, it won't lie.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 03:32:17 pm »
Agree with PD, maybe a touch stiff on the right fade. What does the straight edge say?  Assuming it is flat unbraced, it won't lie.

Unbraced I've got 1 1/4" set for both tips.  Please clue me in re "what does straight edge say".
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 04:09:57 pm »
If the limb while relaxed is board flat, then the straight edge will show any hinges or flat spots, so tiller accordingly. If there are any spots that stay kinked or bent while relaxed, just factor that in while checking the gap. Nice job to my eyes, but check it and know that it's right.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 04:15:05 pm »
I'd say that the right limb from the fade to about 3 inches or so out is a bit stiff, but not by much. Hey, based on a lot of my bows, I'd call it done, slap on some finish and have fun! It really does look great to me, I'm just nit-picking because you asked.
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 04:57:04 pm »
Proper arrows are on order, but couldn't wait to shoot it in a bit. 

And lil brother has got his eye on sister's bow!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 05:00:33 pm by Knoll »

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 05:12:13 am »
Nice job,is the top limb quite a bit longer,looks like it in the picture. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 08:21:59 am »
Nice job,is the top limb quite a bit longer,looks like it in the picture. :)
  Pappy

hmmmm . . . will check it out as soon as this 1st cup of joe takes effect.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 09:07:57 am »
Your handle and fades are much improved over the last.  Bet she loves it.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 09:32:28 am »
Very nice. She will enjoy it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!