Author Topic: new billets  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Pat B.

new billets
« on: May 31, 2014, 07:44:29 pm »
A friend runs a dozer for a living and I told him to be on the lookout for osage trees..  He says they're few and far between in this area, I knew that !!  But about a month ago he called and had a small one spotted that was coming down and asked if I wanted it, I did .

The tree didn't have any stave length material in it, to my uneducated eye.. But it did have some billet length stuff.  I got 1/2 a dozen billets that look pretty clean, knot free and straight for the most part..  Even at billet length the best I could do was 36-38".

I have these billets split into appx. 2x2x 36" pieces. I have removed the bark and sap and chased them down to what looks like the best ring.. I've "painted" the back and ends with white glue..

Should I just put them away for a year or is there anything else I should or could do to move forward with these billets ??

Any info would be appreciated..
                                                                     The other Pat B.
                                                                                               Pat Byrne
Friends are the family we choose

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: new billets
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 10:03:27 pm »
Pat, you could take the billets down to floor tiller stage and strap them to a form until they dry. I wouldn't try to splice them yet because the wood will shrink as it dries.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: new billets
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 09:59:48 am »
When I want to rush billets into a spliced stave I cut the splices but don't do a glue-up until my moisture meter says the wood is dry. The thin fingers of a splice dry in a couple weeks in my shop or a couple of days in my hot box.