Author Topic: I think I found my fletching  (Read 3243 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

I think I found my fletching
« on: May 30, 2014, 12:41:31 am »
For a while I've been messing around with different types of two fletches.  The first I tried was of course the eastern two fletch but it was always just too much tedious work with splitting vane of the feather and getting the two feathers the same.  Almost always one feather would bend more than the other and throw the spin off.  So, I finally figured out the simple way.  This is a method I came up with and I really really like it.  The arrow I made in this video has been shot a lot and looks like it's still new.  I was so excited about it that of course I had to make a video.  I apologize that it's so lengthy but this isn't for entertainment, it's to document my process.

Click the picture below to view the video!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ CLICK ABOVE PICTURE TO VIEW VIDEO^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline H Rhodes

Re: I think I found my fletching
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 02:01:45 am »
Great video.  awesome work man.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 09:05:24 am »
Good video Tim,nice arrow. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 10:11:03 am »
Great video Tim!  Consider the smashing the quill bit stolen. ;)  The split quill method is tedious and can split on back towards the nock if the arrow goes though the weeds.  Your technique would have to be much more durable.  Thanks!  Josh

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 12:20:39 pm »
Not sure that you "came up with" that method, but it works pretty good. You still stuck the feather in your mouth after saying not to.  :o

Tail feathers tend to be less firm than even secondaries, but will work good if little drag is sufficient to correct paradox.

Not bad PT, not bad at all. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 02:06:23 pm »
Thanks guys!  ;D

Not sure that you "came up with" that method, but it works pretty good. You still stuck the feather in your mouth after saying not to.  :o
I am certainly not the first person to ever do this.  However, no one ever showed me or told me to do it like this.  I arrived at this exact method to do an eastern two-fletch on my own.  Lol, do as I say not as I do.  I'm certain my feathers are clean but I can't be certain of other people's feathers.  The idea is to crush the vain and my teeth were right there.  You could use two sticks or rocks or bones, etc.

Great video Tim!  Consider the smashing the quill bit stolen. ;)  The split quill method is tedious and can split on back towards the nock if the arrow goes though the weeds.  Your technique would have to be much more durable.  Thanks!  Josh
Steal it all you want man!
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!