Author Topic: Just wonderin'  (Read 2570 times)

Offline Buffalogobbler

Re: Just wonderin'
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 10:15:53 am »
I've been to only a few shoots outside of my club Hawkeye Bowmen, and thier all fun, but the classic stands alone, lots and lots of PA folks to meet, lots and lots of bows being made, the food is great(Best pot luck dinner I've ever been to),Miss Joanie, Pappy and all of the Twin Oaks crew are awesome! Oh, and they have a great piece of land and challenging courses to shoot.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline stickbender

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 03:42:12 pm »

You said that you don't have anything like the Classic where you are at.  Reminds me of tho old "Salesman" story, about two shoe sales men who were sent by different companies, to Africa to seek opportunities to sell shoes.  The first to arrive, wrote back, to his company head quarters, " Do not send shoes, everyone here goes barefoot."  The second sales man to arrive, wrote back, to his company, "Send shoes, opportunities limitless!"  It's how you look at things.  Get together with like minded friends, or go online, and look for like minded people who would be interested in something like the Classic, or just an annual, or monthly get together, to enjoy the sport, talk shop, meet new people, and be able to drop the stress of work, and other weights of life, have good food, and drink, and work on making one where you are at. ;)  it doesn't have to be as big as the classic, but just something where like minded people can get together and enjoy, as the word spreads to other like minded people, it will grow.  Then look for the space for it.  You can charge a yearly fee, and use that fee for land lease, and portable structures, shooting lanes, and courses, etc.  Even if it is just a few of you, it would be a blast, and you can learn from each other, and make it a family affair, with good food, and drink, and friendships. ;)  Yeah, I know I mentioned good food and drink again...... I am like you....  ;) ;D ;D   I am sure the Classic didn't start out as the "Classic", it sort of took a life of it's own, and grew into what it is today.   But it's the people, that make it make it work, make it attractive, and draws people from all over America, and elsewhere.  It is the people that run it, and organize it.  It is a LOT of work, before, during, and after the event.  But like I said, you start out small, and go from there.  You decide to grow, or not, due to finances, time constraints, gathering place, etc.  Good luck, and if you can't swing something like that, save your coins, and take a holiday,  to the Classic, or one of the  fore mentioned events.  Ask Del if he enjoyed his short stay.  Skip the mouse, or "Rat Trap" where they catch people, and shake their pockets empty. ::) :P Just enjoy the sport. ;) 

Wayne

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 04:29:20 pm »
That's a very optimistic viewpoint you've expressed there Stickbender  ;)

That does sound pretty awesome though, maybe one day I'll get something going :laugh:

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 06:03:09 pm »
Don't wait till "one day" !
the day before it gets here you will be to old
Start today before its to late!!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Poggins

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 08:51:25 pm »
A lot of good advice .
The OSS ( Oklahoma Selfbow Society ) and OJAM was started by like minded folks wanting to get together and spend a weekend talking about hunting , discuss building bows and build a few bows , OJAM was going to be a smaller event started by a few folks that went to MOJAM but wanted to hold their event before the summer heat so they decided to hold it during spring break so families could campout for a few days . OJAM had over 900 attend this year over the four day event .

I'm sure there are plenty of like minded folks over their that would like to get together and build bows .