Author Topic: My amazing mocs  (Read 1691 times)

Offline iowabow

My amazing mocs
« on: May 30, 2014, 12:08:04 pm »
This pair of mocs were made by Kyle Nilson a friend of JW's. I ask him to make me a pair before I came out to SD for the turkey hunt. At first they were a little tight but now that I have worn them for a couple of weeks they fit like a glove. The uppers are buffalo, the sole is boar and the inside is elk. What a real nice pair of mocs these are Kyle and thanks for making me a pair.

(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: My amazing mocs
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 12:12:19 pm »
very nice moccs. looks like they will hold up for a while.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 12:30:49 pm »
Yup! Those are cool John. Wear them in the river then wear them til they are dry. That will stretch them where they need to be stretched. Poppin's Mocs told me to make sure I oiled/sealed the soles on mine as well as the uppers to keep the sole supple and soft instead of letting it get hard and brittle. Won't be as slick on wet surfaces that way either. Sweet Mocs Man, dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 09:28:03 pm »
Poppins' father taught Kyle's teacher how to make moccasins many years ago.  When I wore my mocs to the Tennessee Classic, they immediately recognized the maker! 

I had Kyle make me a pair of these high tops to go with the older pair of center seams.  All it takes is the light sweat of your feet to warm and soften these mocs so that they mold to the foot.  The elk leather liners are butter soft and pretty "fluffy" leather.  That means they will mold to feet perfectly.  What with the buffalo hide main body and the boar hide outsoles, I have walked thru prickly pear cactus without having to care where my feet land.  Yet they are supple enough for finding lost arrows in the grass! 

My old pair is getting on to 10 years old and are in great shape.  Mind you, I do not wear them on concrete, pavement, or other non-natural surfaces.  Keeping them well greased and wearing on a regular basis helps keep them supple.  Eventually, when the soles wear out, I will send them to Kyle for a resole job! 

Something I picked up from Kyle when he was explaining how me makes the mocs is that none of the stitches go all the way thru the moc...no natural holes for water to leak thru. Niiiiiice!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 04:56:52 am »
Those are way cool ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 11:01:29 am »

Keep them oiled with neets foot oil, inside, and out, and they will last a lot longer.  Wear socks, as the salts from your sweat, will deteriorate the leather. ;)  One of the things I learned while learning to make clown shoes, from Marty Scott.  Wayne Scott's widow.   ;)

Wayne

Offline Zuma

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 11:11:40 am »
Nice. My feet feel better just lookin and listen.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Adam

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 05:28:54 pm »
Those look really good.  I started to try to make a pair last winter.  It's much tougher than it looks.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 07:56:15 pm »
I started to try to make a pair last winter.  It's much tougher than it looks.

After watching Kyle make last minute adjustments to iowabow's mocs, that became readily apparent!

Kyle uses "shoe lasts" in sizes that match the measurements taken of the individual feet.  With those lasts he can fit you pretty bloody close to perfect every time.  These mocs are more like a cobbler's custom shoe than the teepee creepers most people think of when they talk moccasins. 

Luv my ABO Chuck Taylor All Stars!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 07:29:29 am »
Got to love that,nothing like a well made pair for foot confort and them look to be just that. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 11:12:10 am »
Those look REALLY well made.  Always thought that looks like a fun project for the future.
1’—>1’