Author Topic: Steam bending question  (Read 1363 times)

Don Case

Steam bending question
« on: May 08, 2014, 04:57:54 pm »
I have to make two bends close to each other. I'm concerned that when I steam it the second time it's going to undo the first bend. Will wrapping the first bend with rags and tape protect it while I'm doing the second bend?? How thick should the rags be?
Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Steam bending question
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 05:23:24 pm »
Can you steam and straighten(bend) both at the same time?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Don Case

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 05:44:08 pm »
Not easily. There is a sharp bend one way and then a longish slow bend the other. Just far enough apart to not fit the top of the soup pot I use for steaming but close enough so the steam escaping the tin foil would re-heat the previous bend. I was hoping to do them separately. I kind of got ahead of myself and did the sharp bend already and then realized what I'd done. We'll just keep my stupidity between us OK? I'll try the rag and tape thing and if that doesn't work I'll have to make a steam box and a jig. It's a front to back type bend so I could have left it and done some creative tillering but I'm still having a little trouble seeing the bow though the bends.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 05:55:57 pm »
I think a damp rag wrapped around the stave at the bend you don't want to heat would work fine. You may not even need the tape, just wrap the rag. The steam/heat will be concentrated over the pot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 04:39:07 am »
Steam and fix the first correction then leave it clamped.Whilst still held by the clamps (use string/rope if short on space) steam the 2nd spot and then clamp the whole shebang up until cool.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 08:52:00 am »
You can use dry-heat to set the first bend after steaming, you should do this with the steam bent part still held in position or it will straighten out.  Once it's set it should stay put
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 12:54:40 pm »
Don is steam really needed? If they are that close they must not be radical? Id suggest using dry heat if you can get away with it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Don Case

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 12:37:06 pm »
It's all done and worked great. I wish I had taken before/after pictures. It was a bend about a foot long with maybe a two ft radius that started with a sharp kink at one end. Anyway, it came out well, as long as it holds. I'll heat treat it to lock it in. I was surprized how concave the belly got in the bend area. The stave is 2" wide and the dish is about 3/32" deep.
Thanks for all the input
Don