Author Topic: Super glue recommendation?  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Matt Heppe

• Eternal Knight
Super glue recommendation?
« on: May 04, 2014, 04:39:25 pm »
I've never needed super glue before... but now I do.

Any recommendations? I understand that I need thin/liquid super glue in order to saturate cracks.

Thanks!
Eternal Knight: where I write about writing, do book reviews, and display my novice bows.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Super glue recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 05:02:46 pm »
I've been using "Super T" from Lee Valley, seems to be really good stuff.  Comes in one or two ounce bottles.  But you can't go wrong with brand names like Loctite or Titebond either.

The stuff at Lee Valley comes in 3 different viscosities as well, from watery (called "Hot Stuff") to syrupy (called "Special T"). 

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 06:40:43 pm »
I use JB weld or Lepage Super Glue Ultra Gel,   use a straight edge and work it in the crack.  I fixed my vice with JB weld months ago and you know what kind of treatment a vice takes.  It split on one side at the base.  Has not come apart or moved a tiny iota.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 06:45:33 pm by bow101 »
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 07:13:51 pm »
All I use is loktite it's by far the best I've used.
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 12:16:30 am »
Titebond brad called Instabond! This stuff is amazing! You get it in a bottle a full oz it comes with a resealable cap that won't let the glue harden in the tip! I glued two 2x4's together end to end. Used a hammer and actually broke the board but not the glue joint. It's thin and will rock into any crack or knots. Love this stuff. Just don't glue your fingers together with it.  You can get it a Lowe's for around 5 buck's. Patrick.
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 01:44:13 am »
Tite-chairs universal super glue. Best around. You can get it at ace.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 07:43:15 am »
Loc-tite Professional in the blue bottle.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 12:03:58 pm »
I use whatever is available. I like the thin stuff for checks, cracks and knots and gel for overlays. I imagine that there are some that are "better" than others but I've never has a glue failure with any super glue I've used so I get what is available. I don't buy the stuff in the little tube because it dries out quickly after its opened but I'm sure the glue is as good as any.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Don Case

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 12:39:09 pm »
I think that there is little if any difference but remember that CA has a shelf life. The older it is the worse it is. That means don't buy it from a discount store. Go to the busiest hobby shop in town and get it there.