Author Topic: Tree Climbing :)  (Read 2683 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Tree Climbing :)
« on: April 25, 2014, 12:50:13 am »
Changed things up and got away from primitive stuff and climbed some trees!  Just click the picture to view the video!

^^^Click Picture^^^
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Don Case

Re: Tree Climbing :)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 01:36:16 am »
We'll have to get Del to bring the "Monkey Bow" over for you, it would be a perfect match. >:D >:D
You're sure in better shape than I was at your age.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 09:12:15 am »
You ant right Tim. :) Cool video. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 10:24:40 am »
Got away from primitive stuff? There's not many things more primitive than going back into the trees to our simian roots.

Offline Marks

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 11:15:39 am »
Is the tie dye thing like your calling card or do you just really like that shirt?
I wish we had live oaks this far north.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 11:41:19 am »
Is the tie dye thing like your calling card or do you just really like that shirt?
I wish we had live oaks this far north.
  Live oaks are some amazing trees for sure!  The reason behind the tie-dye is explained here:  "Why the Tie-dye?"

Got away from primitive stuff? There's not many things more primitive than going back into the trees to our simian roots.
  dang, you're right!  I went back to like before primitive, animalistic?
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 01:43:07 pm »
Good one. ;)
1’—>1’

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 04:34:37 pm »
I was wanting to see you get all the way up that first tree! Cool video though. Climbing trees is fun,  :).
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 05:03:01 pm »
I don't know how many Live Oaks I've sat or stood in hunting. Great trees for natural Stands and cool video, Tim.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 07:51:10 pm »
Now I understand why you are not worried about it flooding at the Classic....bring some rope to help pull some of us up there also... ::)
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 10:59:29 pm »
I was wanting to see you get all the way up that first tree! Cool video though. Climbing trees is fun,  :).
ya it would have been a really slow and dangerous climb though. Didn't want to risk it for a boring climb.

Now I understand why you are not worried about it flooding at the Classic....bring some rope to help pull some of us up there also... ::)
lol I'm not worrisome for the most part. You start processing the fibers and I'll make the rope.

Offline Wiley

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 05:21:43 am »
Magnolias will probably always be one of my favorite trees to climb. It's also a very medicinal tree, nearly every part of it contains honokiol and other compounds are known to have a lot of medicinal value. Honokiol alone has been shown to have antidepressant, anxiolytic, antiemetic, analgesic, anti-inflamatory, antibacterial, anti-tumorigenic, antithrombotic, neuroprotective, neurotrophic, and serotonergic effects. Pretty awesome stuff in those trees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honokiol

Don't see too many live oaks around here but I have climbed a couple, they are wonderful trees.

Offline Mike Joe

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 01:58:56 pm »
Your much braver than I am. It would take me a long time to get up there, but I could get down REALLY quick! Cool footage!
"Son, we don't really care how it looks, We want it to work." - John McPherson

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 05:32:00 pm »
Very nice.  I must say that brings back memories.  I did not realize how big that first tree was until you walked up to it.

When we were kids my brothers and I used to shinny up small trees till we were about 20' up then we would let go with our feet and the tree would slowly lower us to the ground.  Not one of them broke.

I remember seeing one of my uncles climbing a big Spruce tree when I was young.  He got up about 30' when the branch he was on let go.  He took out every branch on the way down, he was not in great shape for awhile after that.

Really the only trees worth climbing up here are Pine and Spruce, just the big one.  The clean up after is tedious
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com