Author Topic: Helixed or strait fletchings?  (Read 2036 times)

Offline Cade

Helixed or strait fletchings?
« on: April 27, 2014, 11:52:58 pm »
I'm new to primitive archery. I was wondering if helix fletched arrows are used for this like they are for compound bows or if strait fletched arrows are better. I'm wondering because I would like to make some arrows but it is hard to consistently spiral the fletchings.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Helixed or strait fletchings?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 12:14:21 am »
I straight fletch with a little offset. With Cherokee 2 fletch I put 90deg of twist on the fletch.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lostarrow

Re: Helixed or strait fletchings?
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 09:25:04 am »
Matter of personal preference. The helical will stabilize quicker from a bad release .You should make sure you have the proper shafts for your bow from the get-go. After that, the fletching will just help it shoot "better" with more consistency. The bigger the fletch or more twist or greater number will increase drag and slow the arrow and minimise any wobble. The straight fletch preferred by some wheely guys ,is usually in response to the arrow rest clearances. When using feathers, the arrow will still spin in flight with a straight fletch, because of the structure of it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 09:28:52 am by lostarrow »