Author Topic: Splicing Jig  (Read 3326 times)

Don Case

Splicing Jig
« on: May 13, 2014, 11:19:23 pm »
On page 210 of TBB1 there is a drawing of John Strunks splicing jig. Does anyone use one? I'm thinking that I might make 3 or 4 spliced bows in the next few years and I'm wondering if it is worthwhile. It looks like it might be a real pain in the butt to get a twisty bendy stave attached solidly to the billet holder. How many jig and how many free hand?

Offline Dances with squirrels

Re: Splicing Jig
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 05:21:41 am »
On 90% of them, I run it into the bandsaw by hand... usually by first flattening the bottom of the splice area so it sits flat on the saw's table.

If it can't be flattened well enough, I simply clamp it to a heavy, short piece of 4" steel angle iron, so that IT sits on the table without moving. The area to be cut for the splice overhangs the angle.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 06:56:53 am »
I run 'em by hand as with staves you are always going to have to fiddle and fettle the splice to get a good fit.
On one particularly wobbly stave I stuck each limb to a scrap of hardboard with rapid epoxy to provide a flat surface so it sat better on the bandsaw table. I got 'em lined up nicely before gluing to the hardboard. It did help, but still needed some fettling.
On narrow longbows I tend to use a V rather than a Z
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 07:49:25 am »
    I draw mine on paper, cut it out with a razor blade and glue it to both billets before cutting. 

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 09:34:34 am »
Badger has it right. Draw the splice on paper and glue it to the billet matching a center line drawn on the billet. This is a limb replacement in the picture.

I feel it is important to flatten the belly of the stave at the splice so it will run through the bandsaw without any wobble. I place the flat belly on my bandsaw table and sight down the limb to be sure the limb is straight in relation to the future splice, without any sideways lean. If I have natural propeller in the limb I cut my flat spot at a slight angle so the splice will correct the propeller as much as possible. 

Don Case

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 12:42:51 pm »
Thanks guys. I fiddled with making a jig a bit and I thought freehanded was the way to go. You guys confirmed it.

Offline Markus

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 02:00:54 pm »
There is a handle splicing jig in the how-tos and buildalongs posted on April 5th 2011.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 02:03:09 pm »
The jig that Strunk uses is for really nicely sawn billets. Usually yew but Ive seen him splice just about everything. VM,OS you name it. And also for splicing laminate bow stock .
I to, do it with sticky paper.
But I wouldn't mind having a jig that's for sure.
Clatskanie, Oregon