Author Topic: Bow Bench/Shaving Horse Plans Bowyers Journal Fall 2005  (Read 8670 times)

Offline bow101

Re: Bow Bench/Shaving Horse Plans Bowyers Journal Fall 2005
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 08:19:24 pm »
I found this one online, its so simple, a short chunk of 2x12..  Sometimes jobs sites will throw away short pieces of lumber.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 11:58:36 pm »
This is one I built, but I think I'm going to have to build the one from the old magazine that was posted. Mine functions well but it makes my back hurt some after about 2 hours. I need to do some modifications to it.  I have since cut the legs at an angle to sit flush and added some tooling leather  for padding as well as some foam for the seat.

Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 12:11:57 am »
There's plenty of plans around for them, but that one from the magazine is particularly nice... I think it's just designed that little bit better, and with the extra modifications suggested, it seems like it would work very nicely. Personally, I would rather use steel for the leg brackets... I'm a heavy guy, I would wreck plastic brackets struggling back and forth with the drawknife.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 09:40:15 am »
If you recess the piece that sticks out of the top of the plastic bracket ,they are much more secure. Honestly though, I never take the legs off. I just stand it in the corner on the end. I did cut mine down to about 50 " though .  I also changed the dumb head assembly . The pivot in the center allows you to come in from either side with the stave and brace it between your body and the pivot arm when needed for extra stability. The ones above require you to slip the stave in from the end, which can add extra time and be a pain if your space is limited. It is a more secure hold, however. The last one I made will break down completely for storage in minutes, but I haven't  bothered .Pics are before and after  shortening  . I also widened the bridge and head.