Author Topic: Heard you guys like character staves...  (Read 2871 times)

Offline Crogacht

Heard you guys like character staves...
« on: April 19, 2014, 12:55:59 am »
We had a storm and a 15 foot branch came down from a beautiful old 100 year old walnut tree... it's got a bit of character that's for sure, but I wasn't about to let it go to waste. Even got the smaller bits for carving/handles/overlays/footings... you get the picture ;)

The staves are very large still, but with all the knots and bends I don't think I can safely split them any further, but I'm happy.

Any advice... warnings? :P

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Heard you guys like character staves...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 01:09:03 am »
Well, yeah, I guess that qualifies as character! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 06:28:20 pm »
I'm pretty sure thats not walnut. Knock yourself out!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 07:02:18 pm »
Well it drops walnuts :P It's an English Walnut though, not a black walnut, which seems to be the more common type.

Offline okie64

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 11:04:31 pm »
Well if you say it drops walnuts then that is hard to argue with but it does look more like hickory. Either way its gonna be tough to get a bow outta those staves. Looks more like firewood to me >:D, but if you're feeling froggy go for it.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 12:03:47 am »
Looks like a challenge for sure - good luck with them!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 12:53:24 am »
I just realised I didn't actually know what Hickory looked like... we don't really have it around here.

I looked it up and it actually looks pretty similar to english walnut. Maybe it is hickory?... I was going off the leaves and the green nut casings, which look similar in both hickory and walnut. I can't recall if I've seen the actual walnuts themselves on the ground.

I'll have to go and check next time I go past... Hickory would be good though! And it was actually quite difficult to split, so maybe you guys are right :P

I haven't completed a bow yet so I collect all sorts of horrific staves in the hope that one day I'll be able to use them :D

Offline Wiley

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 01:14:05 am »
Apparently English walnut will dry to a darker color, i would let them season and see if the color changes. If it is a statistically unlikely hickory, the wood won't darken much as it dries.

Whatever wood it is the nice thing is that most fruit and nut trees will make a bow.

Pecans have been in NZ for something like 100 years, it's so close to a hickory that if a hickory tree and a pecan are next to each other they can produce something called a hican.

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 06:00:42 am »
Well, I went back and dove into the shrubbery and found one of the nuts from the tree. I picked it up and thought AHAH it WAS walnut. But I have since looked up 'hickory nut' on the internet, and they look VERY similar. I have attached a picture of said nut... or the case anyway... do I need to crack this thing open to know the truth??? Or do we need photos of the tree.

Like I said, Hickory is unheard of around here, hence me not knowing what one looks like.

EDIT: I cracked it open with the hatchet... nut was rotten but looks like a walnut.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 06:04:13 am by Crogacht »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 07:31:53 am »
Could be I guess but don't looking like any Walnut I have around,looks from the nut to be some kind of Hickory,maybe English walnut,not sure about that. ;) Any way you are right about one thing,it has character. :) Should make a bow with a lot of thender loving care. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 08:13:36 am »
Good luck with that ;) ...some might say the only type of wood that is, is firewood  :laugh:

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 05:43:25 pm »
Man... the more I look at walnuts and hickories, the more similar they look. I think I need to go back and collect more evidence... I'll get a decent picture of the tree too.

Haha, yes, most likely firewood, but I'll shave a bit off once it's dry and see if there's any bow wood hiding under the bark  >:D