Author Topic: Question about Finish  (Read 963 times)

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

Question about Finish
« on: April 14, 2014, 12:27:12 am »
I want to finish my rawhide backed bow with a penetrating oil 1st, ...maybe Tung oil ?

But than I want to spray it with Spar urathane or Poly, ...so, would the Urathane stick to the Tung oil ?

Thanks

.........I'm a bit rusty on finishes, can't really remember What and how they work together ;D ;D ;D ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Question about Finish
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 12:42:53 am »
Manny, an oil based urethane should stick to tung oil or linseed oil but do a test first. You may have to wait for the oil to dry first though.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 02:08:57 am »
NOMADIC PIRATE, as long as you use an oil base with an oil base you will be fine. But any time you apply anything over Tung oil, linseed oil and true oil you should wait until it is fully cured before applying your spar or poly. After your Tung oil is cured lightly go over it with 0000 steel wool and use a good tack cloth with a denatured alcohol and make sure you don't touch it with your fingers at all then your spray finish will come out really nice. I have done this on some really nice furniture and gun stocks and it turns out great. Good luck and post a pic when you get it done! Patrick.

Also you can wet sand with your tung and true oil to fill any pores in the wood then use the steel wool between coats. If your careful you can get an awesome finish with just that. After about 5 coats you can use a fine steel wool over the whole thing then wipe down with your alcohol for a more satin  finish.
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 10:08:09 am »
Manny read the back of your tung oil and tru oil cans. I believe Formby tells not to apply a urethane over it. Tru Oil will allow a urethane.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline waterhawk

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 02:28:35 pm »
Remember, using poly will yellow the wood after about a year, and has a tendancy to crack, if more than a few coats are applied, near any bending parts.