Author Topic: Splitting wood with a jack hammer  (Read 11116 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Splitting wood with a jack hammer
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2014, 02:44:59 pm »
That and some big dogwood wedges should do the trick, Steve....and some strong, young muscles of course!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2014, 05:16:24 pm »
Mike McGuire said he tried a super sized log splitter for his oasge business but didn't like the end product and went back to hand splitting.

Offline Badger

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2014, 05:21:32 pm »
   Elm is not near as critical as osage to follow the radial grain on. If I get a 4" piece I saw it on my bandsaw straight. This chinese elm is not even too touchy about ring violations. I picked up a waste piece I sawed off while roughing out a bow with massive steep violations and tillered it out, still shooting today.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2014, 05:52:32 pm »
On a big log getting the thing in half was always the hard part for me. After that it seemed to be easier...but the only elm stave I ever split I only got 2 staves. It was only 3" to 4".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2014, 12:38:11 am »
I have only split one elm log. It was about an eight incher.

Now I pick trees about that same size and saw the staves with the tree standing. It's much easier in every way than chainsaw ripping  the log on the ground.  I start at the top and keep the saw at something like a 35-degree angle to the cut (bar tip highest)  and make repeated cuts an inch or so deep. I don't use any mind altering  substances and would strongly recommend against it. Also, make sure your footing is clear before starting.

Don't cut the staves free at  their ends. Wait until all the slices are cut, then drop the tree and cut the staves free.

Jim

Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine