Author Topic: Sinew backed ash board  (Read 4647 times)

Offline Arrowind

Re: Sinew backed ash board
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 12:41:23 am »
Looks cool! Looks like it would be fun to shoot!  Nice job.   It would be nice to hear how it holds up after more arrows. 
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 12:50:24 am »
Very cool man!  Thanks for sharing!  I'd bet you could bend a bit more in mid to outter limb and probably could take a good bit more wood off the outter 1/3ds.  Keep em comin!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 08:07:14 am »
There's some good advice given already :) No need for me to repeat that. The tiller might need some tweaking, but since it's already shooting, it may not be necessary.
However, what I do think is necessary, is to re-shape those string grooves. The grooves are currently at a 90 degree angle, while they should be at a 45 degree angle so the string rests into the grooves better. Also, the corners of the grooves are really sharp and need to be rounded. These sharp corners will wear down the string rapidly, which may result in a string break (which is essentially a dry-fire for the bow, which is really bad).
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 09:35:19 am »
That looks like a good shooting bow.  I am sure there will be more to come and I hope you post more in the future.  Seems like you have gotten some good advice.  The guys on this site will have you building great shooting bows.  The way I feel, if a bow shoots straight, quiet, reasonably fast and feels good to my hands,  then it's a good bow.  Good to see some of your work. :)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 10:23:23 am »
Whew! really like this bow, first ash board I have seen on here.
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline berzerk64

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2014, 01:13:27 pm »
Yeah, the nocks definitely need to come down some, holding off on further tillering until it gets a few hundred shots through to see how the sinew affects it.  It has been shooting well, consistent, no discernible hand shock with my doug fir arrows, and quieter than I have a right to expect. 

All of mine will be boards for a while, there isn't much for raw materials here in SE AZ.  I have been keeping an eye open for some oak or mesquite, to at least try something local, but the Monument Fire a few years back pretty much burnt out any resources I can easily get my hands on. 

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2014, 10:31:51 pm »
Welcome and good job with that one.  Now on to the next!