Author Topic: Tillering Tree Measuring Tree  (Read 2842 times)

Offline alcot

Tillering Tree Measuring Tree
« on: April 04, 2014, 12:54:04 pm »
I was reading this old post (5/16/12) where it mentioned most bowyers measure from the back of the bow when measuring draw length on the tillering tree. Yet in the glossary of terms it defines draw length as the distance from the nock to where the hand resists the bow. Wouldn't that make it the belly?
I am building a tillering tree and am wondering exactly how to set it up to measure draw length.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tillering Tree Measuring Tree
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 01:27:00 pm »
Draw length is measured from the throat of the arrow nock to the back of the bow at full draw. You will get different measurements depending on the depth of the handle though. I used a yardstick for measuring. You can make the yardstick adjustable if this worries you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 01:45:05 pm »
The confusion lies in the AMO standards. The glass people measure from throat of nock to the pivot point of the handle  and add 1.75 in.
http://texasarchery.org/Documents/AMO/AMOStandards.pdf
It's a whole other world out there.
Most selfbow people measure from throat of nock to the back of the handle.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 04:06:29 pm »
The back of the bow is the side facing away from the archer. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 04:12:16 pm »
I'm with George on this one. Apparently this is just another one of those things in primitive archery that there seems to be different opinions on.

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 04:38:16 pm »
Oooops had a moment, corrected.  ??? ::) ??? ::)       measure from the back.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 09:18:53 pm »
I measure all my bows, draw length and weight, to 1 3/4" in front of the deepest part/throat of the grip. That includes selfbows, composites, glass, all of em.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 10:36:13 pm »
From the back.  Just makes more sense to me.  I make some of my grips less than an inch thick and others closer to 2 inches thick.  My arrows are longer on the deep handled bows as a result.  I did the whole +1.75" thing when I shot wheel bows.  Now, the only thing I'm concerned with is keeping my anchor point and stance the same the same, or close, from bow to bow. 
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 11:52:48 pm »
If you want to be picky, the distance from the valley of the knock to where your hand sits on the bow is really irrelevant when it comes to specifying draw length, but you can see that there are different opinions out there. 

Therefore, if you are making a bow for someone else, it is a good idea to really nail down whatever definition YOU use, and make sure you are on the same page. I personally call the distance from the valley of the knock to the back of the bow the "true" draw length, to try to eliminate some confusion (but that doesn't always work either ;) ).

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 12:21:07 am »
Brace height lines and draw length lines are different
when I made my tillering board I got confused :-[ ;)
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 03:05:46 am »
It's simple really!
Valley of the nock to the back. It's the only way that makes sense :)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 10:50:33 am »
I have a question, now I'm a novice, but in my mind you draw a bow while it is braced back to your stopping point where you are comfortable. You are only stretching the bow only from the grip area on the handle to where the string is held.  So, no matter what tillering setup I have seen everything is secured from the handle and is either pulled or held down by pulling on the string. So if you measure from the distance from the handle to the string when drawn it should be the same every time. No matter the thickness of the handle area. If the way you guys are saying then if I make a bow with a 28" draw and a 2 in thick handle them the draw length would have to be 30" and if it had a 1" thick handle them the draw length would be 29" according to the way I understand you all.

Now if you make the draw length 28" from belly of handle to where you draw it to then the bow will only be moving that far and that's it 28" then to make sure you don't put an arrow through your hand add the thickness of your handle area plus one inch and cut your arrow. That's how I see it wither right or wrong. Unless some one can explain it to me better.  Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!