Author Topic: Bark loose yet?  (Read 3122 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bark loose yet?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2014, 10:22:48 am »
Its only the matter of a couple of weeks now so why not wait. I'd rather wait a few weeks to be sure the bark will peel rather than cut now and find out it won't peel.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 11:01:20 am »
The buds are starting to swell up so we are getting closer even if there is to much snow to get to the woods .
Wait till you have leaves , and for t he Hickorys that will be at least a month around here , they are one of the last trees to wake up from winter
Have patience it is coming !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Josh B

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 12:43:27 pm »
I just cut a couple hackberrys yesterday.  I had to draw knife the bark off.  Its loosening up some, but it will be a couple weeks before it comes off easy here in my part of KS.  Josh

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 02:49:54 pm »
Middle to end of may in the upper northwest region.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 03:02:36 pm »
I just cut some hackberry this week and the bark didn't peel very easy.  It would separate but I had to jar it loose.  I'm just going to wait another month or so before I start cutting.  I'm in Florida too.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 03:11:52 pm »
The only living part of a tree in a thin layer of cells between the wood and the bark(except for branch tip buds). Until it develops in the spring the bark will hold tight. Once that layer begins to develop for this year the bark will slip.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2014, 04:00:47 pm »
I'm starting to wonder if spring will ever come?  We have temps in the mid-60's today, but rain turning to snow with up to 8 inches accumulation tomorrow/Monday.  To make things worse, a friend that watches Game of Thrones with me just texted "winter is coming..."
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2014, 12:42:24 pm »
Me too JW, finally gonna hit 50's and I can see the ground instead of snow but it is supposed to get cold again tomorrow. I am planning to get HHB, maple, ash, elm, buckthorn, and ERC.

I might be getting carried away cause I have in the past harvested more wood than I was ready to debark, split, and seal so I had firewood instead.

I guess I can stretch these out over a couple months without any harm as long as I can get the bark off OK?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 12:50:05 pm by DuBois »

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2014, 08:20:32 pm »
I harvested some yew two weeks ago and the bark almost fell off. I live western Washington. Deciduous trees may be different than conifers like yew, but I think when the leaves are out most trees can be debarked easily.
Dale   

"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Don Case

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2014, 05:34:26 pm »
Thanks guys, the crocus and daffodils are out here. Temp is 50f at the moment. Beautiful day for a walk. I'll go scout out some stuff to cut in a few weeks.
Don