Author Topic: Ipe 5 Curve?  (Read 2256 times)

Offline arachnid

Ipe 5 Curve?
« on: March 19, 2014, 11:29:53 am »
Hi guys.
Following the success of my latest bow (white oak backed ipe) I think I fell in love with ipe.
I have another piece of the same ipe board and I thought I`ll try something different- a 5 curve bow (sort of....)!
I`m thinking about white oak backed ipe (again...), I`ll glue the laminations with some reflex off the
handle section, then I`ll glue on siyahs (with a little reflex) on the tips.
Do you think it`ll work? Will the wood take the stress?

Another problem I have are some flaws in the wood.

These flaws are on the planed side of the ipe, question is- can I glue the backing on this side, despite the flaws?
This other side is not flawed but its not planed and I don`t have power tools to plane it.

So, what do you guys say?

Offline adb

Re: Ipe 5 Curve?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 12:24:49 pm »
I would definitely NOT glue a backing on the side with the big tear-out. If your profile goes into that spot, there will be no glue contact. That's much to big a gap to fill for any type of glue.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 12:40:08 pm »
same here I would find another piece of wood. it could be filled with super glue and sawdust but I still wouldn't trust it.

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 12:46:44 pm »
Even if you fill it with sawdust/CA glue, it won't bond with any wood glue. Just cuz you cover something like that up with a backing, doesn't mean it'll be strong enough.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 01:10:59 pm »
Is there any way you could flip it around so that is the belly side and get rid of that in the tillering process?
 Here's a long 5 curve that Jaro made. This is a better option before you get into true siyahs.
http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/5362/Swissflemish-bow-finished-pictures?page=1

Offline arachnid

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 04:21:58 pm »
Is there any way you could flip it around so that is the belly side and get rid of that in the tillering process?
 Here's a long 5 curve that Jaro made. This is a better option before you get into true siyahs.
http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/5362/Swissflemish-bow-finished-pictures?page=1

Well, I CAN flip the board around, problem is the other side is not planed and I don`t have power tools to plane
it properly. Is there a way to plane and smooth it by hand? (I guess using a hand plane would be the answer, but
the question is - can I get good enough results with it?)/

Very nice bow by Jaro. Problem is my ipe is only 64" long. Thats why I thought about adding siyahs.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 07:01:24 pm »
I wouldn't use that side with the deep gauge in it for the backside of the ipé core. The little hole on the corner in the first pic is okay, but that deep tear out is not okay. Where is that spot located? In the handle, midlimb, near the tip of the future bow...?
Do you have any power tools? A belt sander (which is actually pretty cheap) will be really helpful when you intend to make more laminated bows. How rough is the other side of the ipé? You may be able to flatten it sufficiently with a sanding block and 40 grit sandpaper. Yes, that will take long, but it is doable as long as the other side of that ipé is not too rough.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 07:23:08 pm »
Just use the sandpaper glued to a flat surface trick to smooth the other side of the board. 64" is still enough for a modest five curve.

Offline arachnid

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 01:29:47 am »
I don't have a belt sander but I do have a disc sander bit I can attach to my drill. I'll try to start with that and do the more delicate work with a sanding block.

About the five curve shape:
As (for some reason) five curves are not so common (I have seen only 2 people making them out of wood only. I'm not talking about Indian style bows which are shorter and sinew backed) can anyone give my some dirction about how the tiller should look?

Thanks...

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 01:39:26 am »
I would have thought you would like a simpler and more accurate option to flatten the other side.

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 04:43:54 am »
MY advice is to find a local cabinet maker or similar and ask them to run it through a drum sander. It will be perfect and take about ten mintues.
I just don't think it's worth the hassle of doing it by hand. Beware that planed surfaces look like a series of waves up close (microscope...I've looked!)...this is NOT ideal for bow lams. Sure you can get away with planed surfaces.....but