Author Topic: Fish come full circle  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Ed Brooks

Fish come full circle
« on: March 19, 2014, 12:46:12 pm »
I'm part of a very unorganized fish enhancement club. We have been working with the Washington Department of Fish & Wild Life, to raise Steelhead and Coho (Silver) Salmon. For several yrs the state would catch our salmon and kill them in a trap on their way up to our pond. The state now don't have enough $ to have ppl kill our fish so they pulled the trap and here is what we ended up with. The little creek our pond is on was full of salmon, eagle and I'm sure all kinds of other fish eaters.  The Steelhead I posted on another post was from raised in the same pond. Ed
this is my son and grandson standing on the edge of our rearing pond. you can see the walking bridge over the creek. the fish in the water was under the bridge, the dead fish was an eagle kill just below our pond. then there is a bald and a golden eagle. Sorry for the pics they are from my phone.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Fish come full circle
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 01:06:15 pm »
Awesome work Ed. That's something to be proud of and something that will, hopefully, last. Our upper peninsula in small streams and landscape just like that, of course they are all full of trout year round. The slammin' and steelies come in every spring an fall.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

JacksonCash

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 01:18:15 pm »
In highscool, we build a few structures in a little stream called Silver Creek in the U.P. Got a few fish some new homes and that sort of thing. It was a lot of fun, but tough work.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 01:21:55 pm »
A lot of those structures you worked on not only gave a place to hide, but kept the outside turns from eroding and filling with silt. Good job JC!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 02:36:28 pm »

Never under estimate the power of stupidity in the Fish and wildlife services.  In Montana they poisoned all the fish in two mountain lakes, and then restocked with cutthroat trout, so the native cutthroats would be the only fish there.  Brilliant!  What did they do with the fish they killed, including native cutthroat?  In the land fill!  There was also an incident in the Thompson falls area one winter, when a heard of Elk were swept down the Clark Fork river, and the F&W nit wits, decided that the best thing to do for them was to shoot them.  So they did.  Nope no one was allowed to recover them.  There are islands in the river.  The elk some times calve there.  Gee maybe the Elk could have gotten onto the islands.  Why not just let them be, and see how they fare?  Why shoot them, and then not let anyone recover them?  Typical of the actions of our F&W in Montana.  Absolutely idiotic.  They solved the problem of the Big horn sheep eating the salt on the roads in winter.  yep, they announced that they have put an additive in the salt, that makes it unpalatable to the Sheep.  Yep, the experts have it covered.  Except no told the Sheep they are not supposed to like it.  They love it.  Now the whole herd is in the road, and on the bridge, licking the uh..... bad tasting salt.  Oh boy, another star for the F&W services.  Seems like anything they put their hands on goes down hill.  Sort of like the national government.

Wayne

Don Case

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 05:15:44 pm »
For several yrs the state would catch our salmon and kill them in a trap on their way up to our pond.

I don't understand, did they give you a reason for this??
Don

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 06:04:20 pm »
Thanks PD, it's a good feeling to know you had a small part in helping mother nature and not always taking from her.
JC, good for you fixing the creek up, I seen a study they thought they needed to take all the stuff out of a creek. after spending the $ to clean the creek out. They found out it never had the pools the fish needed so they had to spend more tax $ to put stuff back in the creek.
stickbender, it still amazes me what the DFWL will do at times. the Timber companies spread nitrogen fertilizer on their ground it looks like it's hailed here, well the birds like to pick up anything bright and shinny it kills them. I know ppl that have suggested to them to dye it green it falls on deaf ears.
DonC. the salmon are not a strain from this upper creek system  (there are no natives in this creek it  has a falls) and the state didn't want them to spawn. We were brood stocking our steelhead out of our river system so they left them alone. I believe it comes down to "if the public knew that a few ppl that cared for the fish and not the $ can bring fish back like this.  they'd run the state out of the fish business" just my thought. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 11:50:05 pm »
Ed...Good point on the State and their fish business...Wife and I were always at odds with them and the timer companies....
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.