Author Topic: Need help for takedown recurve  (Read 2601 times)

Offline logan6742

Need help for takedown recurve
« on: March 19, 2014, 11:51:52 pm »
I want to build a takedown recurve bow, but there is one thing I was wondering. I noticed that most people use fiberglass for the backs on traditonal recurves and takedowns. I completely want to avoid having to use fiberglass. The sound of it in my opinion completely takes away the purpose of traditional archery, and I also don't want to go through the hassle of making a heat box and such. Could I just back the limbs with hickory or maple, and then recurve the limbs with a heat gun? I saw something where someone backed their takedown with hickory, and it turned out fine. Any other suggestions or tips on what I could to for a takedown recurve would be appreciated, as long as it's simple!

Offline bubby

Re: Need help for takedown recurve
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 12:23:18 am »
ou don't have to back a good stave, get a good pc of Osage and your on the right track
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 12:35:39 am »
No one uses fiberglass on this site ... it's not needed at all so don't even worry about using it if you dont want to
I like osage

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 12:38:12 am »

Offline logan6742

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 04:16:57 pm »
I wasn't planning on using a stave, just some laminations from bingham and backing it with hickory. That will work right?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 04:20:28 pm »
That will work great. But you have miles to travel before any of it will make sense. Its something that a simple post on this web site cant answer or clear right up. Your attempting to build one of the more complex styles of bows. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bow101

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 04:22:23 pm »
I wasn't planning on using a stave, just some laminations from bingham and backing it with hickory. That will work right?

Why buy from bingham.? Just go to the lumber yard buy a stick and slice it on the table saw, whatever thickness glue up the lams and bob's your uncle.  If you don't want a stave then go out in the bush cut some wood let it season and cut it up into usable lumber.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 06:07:55 pm »
The lam bow ur thinking of is pre tapered lams glued up and basically tillered. U can back a board then just rasp and scrape it till it's tillered. ALOT easier.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline logan6742

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 10:06:52 pm »
That will work great. But you have miles to travel before any of it will make sense. Its something that a simple post on this web site cant answer or clear right up. Your attempting to build one of the more complex styles of bows.

That's basically the reason why I decided on making a taking recurve bow. So if something decides to go wrong (which I'm certain something will, considering the fact I'm a beginner) all of the work I put into the riser and such won't be lost. Anyway thank you everybody for the info, it really cleared up a few things for me.

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 10:19:31 pm »
Thin commercial lams actually don't make the greatest belly material. They are not chosen for their ability to handle compression.