Author Topic: R/D Maple bow  (Read 4573 times)

Offline bow101

R/D Maple bow
« on: March 13, 2014, 01:10:19 pm »
R/D Maple lam

66 NTN 2 lams of maple with brazilian cherry tips and linen backing, 16oz. Took maybe 3/4" of set, (least amount of set in any of my bows) so far.  42# at 28",  4 1/2" handle.
Took about 30 shots, and it is very smooth to pull and hold at brace, no twist or hand shock. Prefer it over a D-Bow. Still have to finish the handle.
 Thanks for looking.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Will H

Re: R/D Maple bow
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 02:29:57 pm »
That looks like a smooth shooter right there! I'd love to see an unstrung profile of that baby :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 03:14:54 pm »
That looks like a smooth shooter right there! I'd love to see an unstrung profile of that baby :)

+1

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 06:08:46 pm »
When looking at any bow, the most important thing to me is how it looks at full draw, regardless of the design. Do the limbs bend evenly? Do they bend throughout their length? Are there any hinges or stiff spots? Does it bend in an efficient manner for it's design?

That being said, the first thing I see when I look at your bow at full draw is too much bend in the middle. I know it's a R/D design, but the entire length of the limb should be doing a portion of the work.

This what I think a really well tillered R/D bow looks like:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,45438.0.html

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 07:03:11 pm »
Congratulations on getting a shooter! :)
The low amount of set indicates the bow is probably well designed. However, I do have a few reservations. I agree with adb that this bow bend too much near the center. Although the tiller is difficult to judge as it must be in accordance with the unbraced profile. The full draw profile illustrates a shape that should match a bow with a lot of deflex in the handle and only a bit of reflex near the tips. Without seeing a pic of the unbraced bow it's hard to say for sure, but this looks like a bow that bends way too much in the handle.
Additionally, this extreme bend near the handle is probably a recipe for the handle to pop off. I assume the handle is a glued on piece of maple, correct? The fades of the handle are too short and the bend of the full draw pic shows too much bend near the handle and into the fades. I would be surprised if this handle stayed on, actually.. I am also not too fond of that sight window in the handle. Although it is a matter of preference whether you like a shelf or not, we can inconclusively say that the positioning of the shelf is seriously weakening the fade.

It seems like a well crafted bow, it really does. You really put effort into this. It's just that the middle ten inches of the bow seriously worries me in more than one aspect. I hope I don't come across as being a jerk, since I just want to give you some constructive critiques.

Jorik
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 07:09:32 pm »
I'll agree with whats been said, and Wills bow is a great example, possibly  101 got too much reflex on the  to close just like my last one, more than mine even,  still looks nice and bet it shoots good, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 07:12:55 pm »
Besides shootability, a bow's longevity is important... to me anyway, because most of the bows I make I don't keep.

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 07:33:55 pm »
Besides shootability, a bow's longevity is important... to me anyway, because most of the bows I make I don't keep.

agreed  ;)
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bow101

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 09:01:14 pm »
Thanks for all the constructive criticism guys.
I agree good tiller is perfect tiller, or near perfect  :) 

I glued on a 1/8" maple strip lam on the back.  I was very carefull to cut the shelf into the thickest portion of the handle.  The bottom limb has less reflex because of the cut I made.  I learned again as usuall.  The handle is all maple.  But I can tell ya the pic from brace to full draw really does not show more stress in the handle area.  I checked it many times and it did have me worried as well.  Or at least I think...

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 10:14:54 pm »
Sweet!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 08:07:42 am »
Hard to judge from full draw at least for me,after see the un strung profile,looks pretty good,I am sure no expert on these,working on one now,but I think I will go back to the ones I know after this one is done. :-\  Nice shooter.  :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 11:05:28 am »
How come there's a black dot over your finger in the one picture? Did y'all have a booger on the end of yer fanger?  :o
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline bow101

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 11:51:01 am »
How come there's a black dot over your finger in the one picture? Did y'all have a booger on the end of yer fanger?  :o
 ;D ;D ;D

>:(  Had my email hacked about a month ago,  No Fingy Prints either bud......to much stuff going on like identity theft, home mail theft.........etc...... I know someonme that just lost $6500.00 from their bank account that was all the money they had.!

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 11:57:54 am »
Holy shit... really? Finger prints off the internet? Wow, who'd a thunk it. It's a messed up world.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 03:50:34 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

>:(  Had my email hacked about a month ago,  No Fingy Prints either bud......to much stuff going on like identity theft, home mail theft.........etc...... I know someonme that just lost $6500.00 from their bank account that was all the money they had.!

And a good use for a few barbed arrows.....nice bow!
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.