Author Topic: silk backings?  (Read 1144 times)

Offline bushboy

silk backings?
« on: March 16, 2014, 06:19:53 pm »
Hey all,was wondering how is the best way to glue on a silk backing?is there a specific way to do so and which is the best glue?ex ,glue under and a coat over and so on.thx's Rob.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: silk backings?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 07:03:36 pm »
Rob, silk backing goes down just like any other soft backing. Size the bow's back with glue(TiteBond) then add glue to the silk and mate the two together. You may want to thin down the glue a bit with warm water. Once the silk is down work it from the handle out the limb with your fingers to get any air pockets or excess glue out. Let it set for an hour then use a sharp razor to trim most of the excess material. After it has set completely(tomorrow) use a smooth file to trim the edges.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 07:03:55 pm »
I've used 2 part epoxy in the past. just because I mixed up too much when laminating bows. It seemed to work good. I never tried any primitive glues. Put a coat on the bow, then rub more in on top of the silk, when dry, trim off excess, sand edges, and done.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline dwardo

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 07:15:32 pm »
I have used silk quite a bit and the way that worked best.
Size the back of the bow with 50%glue, 50 tepid water well mixed. Let this dry in-between two or three coats, doesn't take long to dry.
Then I add more glue to the water/glue mix and soak the rolled up rough pre-sized silk for 10 minutes then clamp at the handle and apply to the tip and let dry. I have found adding glue afterwards caused wrinkles, other wise completely flat.

If you want a nice crisp edge on the silk then only trim it close when dry with a razor blade and add a coat or two of which ever finish you use. Then sand from back to belly with clean sandpaper each time. The "adding a finish" part gives the silk structure so that it does not fray when sanding an edge.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 09:07:18 pm »
I've done 3 silk backs if I recall right. I think it went best to size the back with slightly dilluted TB3. I just kept a bowl of water and dipped fingers in and rubbed it down until well glazed over.

Before that I had the silk cut and washed and wet, and then rolled it up so it would unroll toward tips from handle. That way I could work it with fingers to get out bubbles.
It was a little tricky getting bubbles out of character spots cause air could move right through if it was pulled a little too tight, especially if I got the glue to dilluted.
I did put another coat of glue over the silk cause I dipped fingers a little too much while working the silk down and that is when the air started really getting under. Once I got the right consistency the air worked out and stayed out.
I like silk. Wish I had more than one color right now.
Good luck with it.
Doobs

Offline bushboy

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 09:24:19 pm »
Thx's for all the great info guys,much appreciated!how would one go about it at the tips?say for ex.adding tip over lays 'or only silking the working portion of the limb?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 09:44:28 pm »
Wrote something on my site about that years ago. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/silk.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!