Author Topic: Feather Cordage?  (Read 5335 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Feather Cordage?
« on: March 14, 2014, 01:28:26 am »
I got all these peacock tail feathers I don't now what to do with so I figured I might try making some cordage from it.  I'm thinking it will work really well.  As for uses I figured it would make good lace for a necklace.   Maybe have a knapped glass center piece or shell or saber tooth tiger tooth.  Any thoughts or ideas?

Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Mohawk13

Re: Feather Cordage?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 02:09:09 am »
Might be a bit difficult to get it to stay twisted together, but am interested to see how it goes for you.
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 01:29:09 pm »

Tim, what ever you do, do not wear it near someone who ties fishing flies!! :o  You should see about using that for trade instead of using it for twine. ;)  Seriously, peacock herl is big in fly tying.  It makes great trout flies, and small perch, and even bass.  Save it for that, or for trade.  Go on line, and see what others are charging for peacock herl, or the feathers. ;)                       
                                                                              Wayne

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 01:47:03 pm »
Wayne, I've already traded some of it.  I still have a ton of it left.  I'm more interested in discovering the possibilities than trading or selling it.  Plus I'm not in much of a hurry to get rid of it because it's not likely that I'll come across a dead peacock ever again.  Lol, I'm not gonna make a pretty necklace for myself... that'd be weird
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 08:44:14 pm »
Wayne, I've already traded some of it.  I still have a ton of it left.  I'm more interested in discovering the possibilities than trading or selling it.  Plus I'm not in much of a hurry to get rid of it because it's not likely that I'll come across a dead peacock ever again.  Lol, I'm not gonna make a pretty necklace for myself... that'd be weird

OK, but my own personal opinion, I just hate to see it be used for experimental cordage, when there is so much more stuff out there.  But it is yours to do with as you please.  ;)   And as for you wearing the pretty necklace, :P, to quote Rod Steiger, in "No way to treat a lady", ...... "Just because you're different, doesn't mean you're a bad person! ;) :D :D :D"  Just saying........ ::)

Wayne
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 08:56:40 pm by stickbender »

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 12:59:26 pm »
You got it done yet? Let's see!!
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Mallorn

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 01:42:50 pm »
You got it done yet? Let's see!!

I second that!  Cordage is such a basic commodity, I love seeing you think outside the box and am curious what you find. 

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 04:53:29 pm »
I'm in Jackson Hole now.  I'll work on it some in the evenings after I tear up the mountain with my snowboard.  Won't get a picture up until next week though.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 07:55:35 pm »
I would trade you something for some of it, Tie flies with it.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 10:28:13 pm »
I would trade you something for some of it, Tie flies with it.
PM me like next week some time and we can talk.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 11:31:01 pm »
I'd hate to see t wasted also, I'll trade you some the next time you get this side of the State.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 11:32:43 pm »
Will do that Tim.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 10:07:49 am »
Come on Guys...I want to see the cordage attempt. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 07:47:24 pm »
Come on Guys...I want to see the cordage attempt. dp
Ok, so I threw some together last night and it's pretty rough looking.  There are a lot more frills sticking out than I expected.  Round two I will pay much closer attention.  It's pretty strong and very soft though!  No can do pictures right now cause I'm out of town.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 08:38:25 pm »
You could make a feather boa out of it for date night.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC