Author Topic: first bow, first tiller, (buckthorn) help please.  (Read 7800 times)

Eric Kol

Re: first bow, first tiller, (buckthorn) help please.
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2007, 12:16:04 am »
O.K.. I broke it! Not at the tips though. I actually got it to start bending really nicely. I went to gonzo on the tillering string. I did not exercise the libs much and tried to draw it too much. It snapped right  on the right side of the handle. Man.
I have more buckthorn, but don't think it's ready to split yet, so I'll start tillering one of the ERC bows I've got roughed out.
Plus, I've got a way to get pretty good amounts of deer sinew for free (and hides) as of tonight, so I'll be giving backing a go.
thanks again for your help.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2007, 07:33:20 am »
To bad Eric it was looking pretty good,what draw was you at when it broke? 28 seemed to be asking a lot from that length bow.Did it pop up at the handle or just break there.Sometimes
if you get one bending to much at the fades where you cut in for the handle they will pop up there because you have violated the longitudinal grain.Alway one more.I broke several before I got a shooter and still do once in a while,sometimes it is just in the wood.Picture of the break might help to tell if it was something you did or just the wood. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2007, 03:31:18 pm »
I'm sure you learned a lot from that first tiller. I broke my first bow too. it shot about 100 arrows at 26 in draw before i got cocky and decided to draw it to 28 (my full draw). Just a few suggestions from a fellow new bowyer. if you wanna finish one you may try a more forgiving stave. Longer and wider with a little less crown in the back. If you look at the last partial draw pic of your last one it bends a lil more on the right near the fades than on the left. good luck.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline Asiertxu

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2007, 05:34:41 pm »
Hi Eric!!
Thatīs turning out relly nice in my humble opinion mete!!.. ;) :) :)..
What kind of buckthorn (Rhamnus......???) are you using on this one ??

Cheers and GOOD LUCK!!

Asier.
//Asier from "Basque Country" Spain.