Author Topic: Kansas has a year round Deer season!!!!!!!  (Read 3697 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Kansas has a year round Deer season!!!!!!!
« on: March 06, 2014, 11:56:26 am »
Unfortunatley the weapon that is used is the automobile. I smacked a pretty nice doe last night a couple miles from the house. Gonna cost me several hundred dollars in body work but at least I've got a little more meat for the freezer. Just trying to make lemonade outta lemons.    Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Ed Brooks

Re: Kansas has a year round Deer season!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 01:01:34 pm »
Hope nobody was hurt,
At least you can keep them, here in Washington St. we have to leave them to rot.   ::) :-X >:DEd
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 01:15:20 pm »
When I lived in Wisconsin, and was stationed at FT. McCoy, they had a road kill list. Deer gets whacked, next guy on the list got to take it home. Kept My freezer filled year round..

Ed...Never did agree with WA State and their let it rot policy. Not very good Game Management in that state, but I never could just let a fresh one lay along the road... :)
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 01:33:06 pm »
I'm right there with you Danny.  I hit one with the wifes PT Cruiser a couple of weeks ago.  That was #8 for me.  It came within a couple hundred dollars of totaling out the car.  I wish it would have.  Somehow the wife ended up with a new car and we are selling the Cruiser as soon as it gets out of the body shop. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 01:51:34 pm »
I few weeks ago, I hit not one, but two deer on the way to check my trapline.  Luckily, no damage to the truck.  One was too damaged to be useable, but the other got toted home for supper.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 05:07:51 pm »

Thankfully, Montana, had a brain cell light up, and now you can keep road kill, whether you hit it or not, you just have to call it in, or email about it.  Only thing is you have to take the whole carcass, including any spilled or spattered guts, etc.  They will tell you in Montana, that it is not if you hit a deer, but when.  Most of the vehicles have a bumper guard on them.  My Buddy, totaled his wife's Pathfinder, about five or six years ago, due to the dumbest animal in the world.  the Big horn sheep!  Only with those idiots, you can't keep any of it, and especially not the horns, or any pieces of the horn.  If you find a sheep skull, with the horns still intact, you better leave them, or hope you don't ever get caught with them!  Absolutely no excuses! >:(  I have come very close to hitting deer, but thankfully, ...... so......far...... I haven't, and I am very watchful for the Big Horn Sheep.  At least with deer, you can at least keep it for the meat.  Oh, and you can't share the meat, or feed animals with it.  Right. ;) 

Wayne

Offline Stoker

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 06:41:55 pm »
Got my first saskatchewan whitetail like that...'81 suburban :o :o
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 08:24:20 pm »
Roads are paved with blood
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 02:58:13 am »
Here in Oregon you are supposed to call the local law enforcement and they will come haul it off for the local soup kitchen, or so I have heard.  At least it doesn't go to the coyotes and buzzards.  Roadkill is the leading cause of roadkill.  I remember trying to dodge golden-mantled ground squirrels that would feed on the dead butterflies off the pavement in this one stretch in the sierras during spring.   
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 11:00:46 am »
I've had a few close calls but I'm surprised that it took me this long to hit one. I had begun to think I was charmed but I guess it shoots that theory down in flames.
 You can keep em here and your supposed to call the sherrif and have him tag it for you, I live very rural and figured he had better things to do at that time of night so I just went to the house and grabbed the truck and went and picked it up. I figured I earned that one considering I had 1 unfilled tag at the end of the season.
  Gutted and hung overnight and all  but the straps and tenderloin are butched and bagged for sausage. Gotta couple roasts still left over from this years harvest so I figured some more of that beautiful venison andouille might be in order on this one.
 Didn't loose too much to bruising either. I was really surprised. Broke her back and knocked the crap right out of her,literally, other than that it looked like a clean kill. I think I netted 25lbs not including the straps and loin. Not a ton of meat but it makes the sting of fender damage a little less. Good eats for sure.   Danny

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 09:55:01 pm »
Hope nobody was hurt,
At least you can keep them, here in Washington St. we have to leave them to rot.   ::) :-X >:DEd
It's an anti-poaching law. So ppl don't hit them on purpose. How are you suppose to know who really hit the deer by "accident" an who didn't?
Call the Washington state troopers and they will have it hauled off the road. An depending on the length of time it will be hauled off to a charity.(same here in Oregon like Carson mentioned)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 01:37:34 am »
Can't speak for all of Oregon but in eastern I bet you call the police and watch 9 out of ten it will still be there the next day 5 of 10 won't be taken at all and when they are picked up it will be buy a highway department truck same one that picks up the garbage and the deer will stay with the garbage. Sad but it seems the politics of this state see road kill as unsanitary garbage. But if they catch you using it I guarantee it will cost you more than beef and they will confiscate it just the same as if you shot it. :'( so same as poaching don't get caught.  >:D
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 02:06:38 am »
Feel the same way.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 08:24:20 am »
I guess I never even considered that someone would hit em on purpose. Seems like around these parts folks try to avoid the collision not instigate it. I suppose if you had a nice cattle guard on the front of your truck you could keep from damaging the front. Otherwise it aint worth it.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 10:24:15 am »

What makes me crazy is when I see people deliberately swerve to hit stuff.  I saw a guy deliberately nail a gopher tortoise (protected species) on the shoulder of the road...just because.  What a champion.  People like that should be chained to the bumper and dragged.
1’—>1’