Author Topic: white ash and eastern hophornbeam trees, ok wood?  (Read 2658 times)

Offline jackpine

white ash and eastern hophornbeam trees, ok wood?
« on: March 04, 2014, 02:57:47 pm »
I am doing some winter time thinning in my woodlot.   Mostly cutting the understory, slow growing trees.   The hophornbeams are 2-3 inches at the butt and the white ash trees are up to 4-5 inches at the butt.
Some of them are pretty straight, so I was wondering if they would make suitable bow staves?
Is there a  'minimum diameter'  for trees used for bows?
If they are suitable for bows, I have more than I need, if any one is interested.   I will save some of the short straight ones for hammer handles and  stakes, and cut the rest into firewood.
We still have three feet of snow on the ground, so I don't have to worry about them drying out anytime soon.
thanks.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: white ash and eastern hophornbeam trees, ok wood?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 03:00:05 pm »
Fantastic white woods. Especially the HHB.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 03:27:58 pm »
The ash will depend on the type of ash. Some are good, others not. The HHB makes great bows. If the trees are cut and laying in the snow, get them out and under cover off the ground. It doesn't take whitewoods long to get infected with rot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 03:28:25 pm »
Just ask Marc St. Louis about HHB,  :).
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 06:07:23 pm »
I would separate cutting wood as a thinning process or  firewood from actually cutting for bow wood specifically.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 09:23:31 pm »
The 3" HHB would work well for bows and can be cut in half to make 2.  Just make sure they don't have excessive spiral growth.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 09:42:54 pm »
I like white ash very much, though I like them  6" or more in diameter. Where are you? Most places, a couple of years would give you another inch.

If you do cut some ash, when it comes time to work a stave, leave two and a quarter  or two and a half inches of width at the fades, if you have that much wood.

Very little ash where I am now. Used it a lot in Maine. The emerald ash borer is killing it all now, so we  might as well use it.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline jackpine

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 01:56:52 pm »
I'm in northern Wisconsin.
Right now I am mostly cutting the less straight trees so the others can put on some size.   They are pretty crowded so I figured they might have tight growth rings, thinking that that is an advantage.     Most of the woodlot is hard maple.

I had an 8 inch white ash that had dried for a few years, and when I split it,  it naturally followed a slight spiral.    maybe 4 inches in 60.    What do you do there?   work it into a straight bow or follow the  'spiral' grain?

The ash borer hasn't got here yet.   I hoping we are too far north.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 02:06:39 pm »
Your lucky. I live in central Michigan and our entire lower peninsula was clobbered by borers years ago. Im guessing they just haint fingered out how to fly over the pond to you!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.