Author Topic: Poplar?  (Read 3969 times)

Offline carpenter374

Poplar?
« on: December 24, 2007, 05:44:54 pm »
I recently came across some poplar for free. has anyone tried this wood for a backed bow? it is as straight as i have ever seen wood. i cut one stave out of it but i haven't tried to work it into a bow yet. thanx.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Poplar?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 05:57:25 pm »
Ah, the question that will never die  ;D Bows can and have been made from poplar, but it's very marginal as bow wood and you're probably just setting yourself up for disappointment if you try it. If you do try it, make it very long and wide, and I would back it with sinew. People seem to like to try to make bows from poplar as a challenge, but they usually seem to self-destruct pretty quickly and unexpectedly. If you're referring to tulip poplar, it makes excellent arrows, though..
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 06:21:57 pm »
It will make you some arrows though. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Minuteman

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 06:43:26 pm »
Eeyup, makes great arras. ;)
  If only osage grew that straight huh?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 06:46:03 pm »
Arrows are more fun anyway ;D!

Offline Loki

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 08:22:49 pm »
Poplar War Arrow's are pretty impressive  >:D.

Durham,England

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 02:05:22 pm »
  I have to chuckle everytime I see a polar thread. I make several bows a year from poplar. Most of them tend to either chrysal or break but I have gotten a number of good shooters from poplar. I would say for a 50# bow and you dont want to invest too much time I would try a 68" pyramid about 2 1/2 wide at the fades. Poplar bows can really surprise you with how they perform. I still have a 62" poplar pyramid that will shoot with the best bows I have ever made. It has chrsaled badly and I fully expect it to fail anytime but so far it hasn't. Probably not more than about a hundred arrow through it. Steve

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 03:14:56 pm »
thanks, all. i think i will go with the arrows. i've got about 40 bd feet in 8/4 so it oughta make a lot.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter