Author Topic: Hickory strips  (Read 1886 times)

Offline BrokenArrow

Hickory strips
« on: February 24, 2014, 07:39:23 pm »
Has anyone  cut hickory strips to 1/8 inches? How and with what tools?

Offline ajooter

Re: Hickory strips
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 07:51:53 pm »
Table saw with a good ripping blade...make sure your cut side is away from the fence.

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 09:27:56 pm »
Bandsaw and thickness sander.

Offline BL

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 01:53:13 am »
Table saw with a good ripping blade...make sure your cut side is away from the fence.

Any more explanation on this?  I'm going to be ripping some hickory backing strips on the table saw and was going to just run them 3/16 from the fence.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 06:12:37 am »
For an example...if your material is 6" wide set your fence to 5 13/16" so that your finished strip is on the outside of the blade away from the fence. Done the opposite way the material can bind and kick back on you as well getting friction burns on your finished strips.  If you dont have one you can make yourself a push block with a 2x6.  Cut it 12" long and notch out the bottom about a half inch for 9" so that when you stand it up there's a heel to place against the material your pushing on.  This allows your hands to be well above the blade.  You shouldn't set your blade any higher then an eighth inch above your material.  BE CAREFUL...table saws are unforgiving (so are bandsaws ask ADB).  I am by no means an expert but have made these observations watching my father work.  If im at all steering this gentleman in the wrong direction somebody speak up!! Good luck!

Offline BL

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 11:29:00 pm »
I've used this saw quite a bit and it does regularly leave a burn mark or two on long cuts against the fence.  It's also a pain in the butt trying to reach behind to hold the thin piece so it doesn't kick out like you mentioned.  I'll give this a shot.  Thanks!