Author Topic: Purpleheart suggestions???  (Read 3388 times)

Offline Wooden Spring

Purpleheart suggestions???
« on: February 20, 2014, 11:54:00 am »
My wife is enamored of purpleheart, and wants a bow made out of this stuff, but I've never built an entire bow out of it - so far I've just used it for accents...

If I back it with 1/8" hickory, and need it to be around 30# @ 26" about how wide and long would a pyramid bow need to be?
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline RyanY

Re: Purpleheart suggestions???
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 12:23:32 pm »
Made a hickory backed purple heart a long time ago. Hickory backing was too thick @ 1/4" thick and almost ended up with no purple heart on the belly but it was also glued into some reflex which I wouldn't recommend. The purple heart also suffered from a lot of compression fractures. Depending on your wife's height I'd make it long to try and avoid any compression issues and maybe to 1.5" wide to 3/8" nocks.

Offline wildwills

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 01:29:26 pm »
Made a bamboo backed purple heart longbow for a friend's wife last summer...hope it helps,

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,40861.msg545815.html#msg545815
Mike Wills
Bugs Bunny: Why, Crusher! It's good to see you.
The Crusher: Yeah, well, I was just passing by... Dyuh... just passing by...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 01:41:38 pm »
I remember that bow, DoubleW!  It was pretty flashy! And so were the arrows.

Since purpleheart has a tendency to fret, make sure you go long in the limbs like ryoonn says.  I've always thought backing it with a thin slice of maple would be a great contrast.  With a simple oil finish you will have a strong contrast between the colors of the two woods.

You may want to consider using a spar varnish with UV inhibitors as your final coat of finish.  As I understand it, purpleheart, like osage, will darken when sunlight has it's way with it.  Purpleheart will turn brown eventually. 

And as always, post pics of the process and the finished bows. Many of us can't read, we can only look at the pretty pitchers!  :-[
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 02:26:51 pm »
I have a pc that I am gonna back with maple probably gonna go 1 1/4"  at the fades and straight taper
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 02:33:37 pm »
I have a pc that I am gonna back with maple probably gonna go 1 1/4"  at the fades and straight taper

That's what I was thinking... Either 1 1/4 or 1 3/8 and I'll be gluing in about 2" of reflex. I'm shooting for around 30#
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 05:29:00 pm »
Can't help ya, but had to mention. I was at the wood store earlier today, and they just got in a pile of curly purple heart boards. I'd never seen curly before today, it was sweet!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline chamookman

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 06:17:03 am »
Over the Years, I've seen quite a few attempts at backed Purpleheart bows. All chrysaled terribly on the belly side.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 06:42:05 am »
I made one some years back with a maple backing. Had one small chrysal. Bow had a good cast for the draw weight.
Make a wide flatbow and you should be fine.
Before you go through the trouble, remember the wood will darken A LOT and it'll look brown after some time.

Frank from Germany...

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 06:54:34 am »
Frank from Germany...

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 10:16:20 am »
I've made a couple of elb's with purpleheart bellies. They look great for a while but as others have said use a uv inhibitor finish and keep it out of sunlight! ;)
I'd go with an ash backing and trap it. Hickory is too strong for most p/heart imo.
1 1/2 wide to 1/2 nocks pyramid. I'd make it 68 ntn for a 26 inch draw. You can always narrow it if needs be.