Author Topic: tillering tools?  (Read 2553 times)

Offline emd023

tillering tools?
« on: March 13, 2014, 02:51:42 pm »
During my tillering process I have been using a rasp to shave off some wood then finishing it up with my cabinet scraper. But after the rasping process the wood is pretty chewed up and I dont think a cabinet scraper is the right tool for this. Would a spokeshave be the best tool to clean the chewed up wood?

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: tillering tools?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 02:55:35 pm »
just get a finer rasp

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 03:00:33 pm »
No. A spokeshave would likely remove too much wood. A finer rasp, as suggested, and a cabinet scraper. I use a scraper for 80% of the tillering, only going back to a rasp if I have any washboard. A rough rasp will leave very deep tool marks.

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 03:08:38 pm »
Plus, a spokeshave is way more expensive than a scraper.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 03:28:05 pm »
    I do the same as ADB, I use the scraper for all the tillering. A finer rasp might be in order. If you keep you cabinet scrapers sharp they will take off a fair amount of wood but still much safer than a spokeshave.

Offline emd023

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 03:39:28 pm »
alright thanks for the info. Ill just stick with my scraper for now.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 03:53:17 pm »
After you take some passes with the rasp, take an equal amount with the scraper. Alternate.
After I string up the stave for the first time, I use only the scaper. Actually I use a Swedish push knife as a scraper. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 05:50:03 pm »
if you have a farriers rasp, the finer side is perfect for removing the deeper gouges from the more aggressive side, then scraper removes the smaller gouges very easily.

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 07:30:52 pm »
There yah go.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 05:44:59 pm »
Well - somebody's gonna get the idea that I work for them or own stock in the company, (...neither is the case!), but I have to suggest my favorite tool again...  The Shinto Rasp.  It has a fine side and a corse side.  I love the way to can remove a goodly bit of wood in a single stoke without leaving super deep tool marks.  I use my Shinto and a steel card scrapper with a fresh burr.  That's what works best for me.

OneBow

Offline bushboy

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 08:06:13 pm »
X2 for the shinto!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 09:09:25 pm »
I've been wondering about the Shinto Rasp since I saw one in a catalog.  I might just have to get one and try it.
Gordon

Offline Grandpa Bill

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 10:07:48 pm »
I am working on my 2nd Shinto rasp.  That and a heavy cabinet scrapper are my favorite tillering tools.
Aim Small - Hit Small - Repeat

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 06:52:16 am »
I've got a Bahco cabinet rasp, it's fairly fine one side and a fine file on t'other. The two work perfectly together, the file side is just right for taking out the rasp marks, but then a scraper will also take 'em out.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 02:01:26 pm »
My process is just like Jawge's, which isn't surprising since I followed his advice once upon a time to build my very first successful bow..... dang, there have been a bunch of them since!  (Still appreciate that first tutoring by George and others on here)   I alternate between farriers rasp and scraper made from an Old Hickory kitchen knife.  Rough side of farrier rasp is just for hogging wood off down to floor tiller. Smooth side to take away the deep gouges.   Finish tillering is with the scraper.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi