Author Topic: Soaking the bow in oil for a month as a "finish"  (Read 2352 times)

Offline zoomer

Soaking the bow in oil for a month as a "finish"
« on: August 31, 2019, 11:43:05 pm »
So I have this book, "Complete Bladesmith" by Jim Hrisoulas. In the section about tools of the bladesmith, on page 8, he says:
Most hammer handles come with a sealing varnish on them. This finish should be sanded off and the handle soaked in oil for two to three weeks. I have soaked every hammer I have ever had in my tempering oil (head and all) for a month or so and have only had to replace one handle in five years. In addition to preventing handle breakage, this treatment also prevents splinters from arising and cutting into your hands.
So I'm asking: could the same method be used for a bow? Will that provide moisture resistance?

Offline Santanasaur

Re: Soaking the bow in oil for a month as a "finish"
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 12:58:38 am »
I’ve done this for axe handles, more to swell the eye than as a moisture resistant finish. I do like the feeling in the hands, but the oil doesn’t build up much, just penetrates. To get a good finish i think you’d still have to build up layers of oil the normal way afterwards

Offline kbear

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 03:51:25 am »
Such a great book. I had it years ago, and so regret selling it. I still want to try a twisted wire wrap around the grip, maybe in brass. Would look real cool me thinks.....

About the soaking in oil........ Would the extra mass attained from a long soak be counter productive? I've had resin that was not properly set bleed out of the belly whilst shooting. Would excess oil just bleed out under compression?

I wounder how it prevents splinters from lifting. Perhaps it improves the burnishing qualities of the handle?

So miss that book......... regrets

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 06:48:15 am »
All the older English bowyers used to say avoid oiling your bow(linseed oil), as it makes the bow shoot soft. I can't say how true it is as the only stuff I have oiled like that were cricket bats, it takes a long time to dry properly.

Danish oil has driers in it so you can put multiple layers quickly, and build up a decent finish. Something like that or Tru oil would be a better choice.

If moisture resistance is what you are going for, paraffin wax, or shellac were the 2 finishes that rated the highest, in tests done by the late, great Dean Torges

Offline zoomer

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 08:20:29 am »
Thanks to everyone for feedback.

kbear, I don't own the physical book. I have it downloaded on my computer. I set a rule for myself some time ago not to sell paper books. I try to print my pdfs, as my hard drive has a much shorter life compared to hardbound paper books.

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 08:36:31 am »
Dean did really seem to like shellac. I wasn’t a believer until I read his books and now I almost always use it as a base coat or to seal over writing. I don’t think the staining white is as bad as the reputation, and it’s no trouble at all if you use another finish over it and it goes under or over most any finish no problem. Haven’t fallen in love with paraffin.

Soaking in oil does pick up a good amount of weight, I noticed with the axe handles. Dunno how much Ive never weighed them. Probably wouldn’t do that to a bow, i’m not looking for the same kind of finish as a tool handle and vice versa.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 11:34:08 am »
Hand rubbing in oil or grease penetrates a small amount(external heat and heat from the hand rubbing friction) so over time you do achieve a pretty good finish. Soaking in oil will give good protection but the excess physical weight would take away from the cast of the bow.
An old wood working adage about oil application as a wood finish goes...once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year and once a year after that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 12:53:45 pm »
I think it might be too much,, but try it and see how it does